Why aren't there any new 2-meter all-mode transceivers anymore?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC0BUS, Sep 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I don't think these were intended to be mast-mounted anyway.
    Simla-Widder-Colorado-3k.jpg

2. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

w1ghz website has low-cost transverter schematics. i think you can purchase boards for them.

i think the people who give ham radio classes should have an electronics class in which everyone builds a 2m transverter. electronics as a hobby seems to be lost on most. two-way-talk has become the focus. when at happens, it becomes

Heres the thing...

Last winter i was doing 2mssb mobile. I had an ft-857d and an efactor antenna. 50w into a very strange little horizontal antenna. I would get on 144.2 and call and call and call. One day I got an answer from a fellow a few miles away. We had a nice chat for a few miles. I was headed to another city and he asked if I minded talking with him for as long as we could communicate. I told him I would not mind a single bit, but since I did not have much of a station he should plan on being bored in about 30 minutes. He laughed and said he was going to go eat but would be back in short order.

45 minutes later I was about to change freq when he called. I answered but didn't expect him to hear me. I did indeed hear me. And, he kept on hearing me for 180 miles of continuous interstate driving. I was 3 miles from my home when he said "Im sorry Ash I just can't pull you out"

So the take-away is: a small 2m ssb station can make contacts, but it takes a lot of patience and a dedicated rig listening all the time. There just are not enough people out there. Plenty of folks have the gear they just are not using it. When they do use it, they find dead air.

Sounds like youre going to have a nice setup. I can only put up one 8 ele but i'm going to do an x-yagi so i have h, v, lh and rh polarizations. I'm also going to SDR/transverter so I can record spectrum and process it on my laptop while I'm traveling (lets me get my fix even when i can't get near a radio). Technicians are so lucky to have full vhf privs because of all the cool new tech out there... to bad more of them don't know it.

NQ1B likes this.
  3. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are preamps with helical filters available. http://www.ssbusa.com/spcurv.html plus many designs for homebrew ones.

4. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll take Aluminum and Heliax cable up in the air rather than a pre-amplifier and it doesn't matter whether you have a mono-band VHF or UHF or a Multi-Band Multi-Mode VHF & UHF transceiver. Your station will out perform practically everyone else. Most ham operators don't understand that the Antenna System is the key component to having an excellent signal.

Dan
    WA9WVX

5. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes aluminum in the air is important BUT your feedline introduces system noise that can mask a weak signal. The preamp ideally will boost incoming signals over the coax loss and allow you to work weaker stations.

6. KE6KA

KE6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

I think SDR transceivers will fill this gap in the near future.

In regards to activity, about half of the simplex activity on 2 meters here is SSB.