ad: cq2k-1

Why aren't there any new 2-meter all-mode transceivers anymore?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC0BUS, Sep 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
  1. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2m weak signal takes aluminum in the air. With condo and HOA living that becomes a problem. Sure you can use indoor antennas but that route is frustration and poor performance. My current plan that is going up is 4 M2 2m12 antennas on 2m on a TMM-433HD tower with a Big Ras rotor so I can work EME. Just waiting on tower to get here...

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

^^This.

Deed restrictions and HOAs have greatly impacted weak signal mode activity on VHF-UHF for home stations; however there's a pretty robust "rover" community out there, where it doesn't matter where you live since all the operating is done from field sites.

3. KC0BUS

KC0BUS Ham Member QRZ Page

true, but, how many of those 'everything' bands have any regular activity on them? I would venture to say its going to be not that many. It's mostly going to be 2-meters, 440, 20 meter and perhaps 40 meters... those are going to be the bands with the most regularly occuring activity.

4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Even though manufacturers make all mode multi band radios, aren't they a bit of a compromise in performance in some respects compared to a dedicated single band radio....

VK2KRR likes this.
  5. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes they are.

VK2KRR likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

Maybe, depends on the engineering.

The old Yaeus FT seven thirty six was a 4-band multimode VHF-UHF rig, and I have one, that was darned close to perfect for the application. It's essentially an HF transceiver without an HF power amplifier, with four transverters that all have excellent performance.

It wasn't cheap. Mine in 1987 with 50/144/220/432 MHz and a couple of options cost over 3K. It does not work on HF, only VHF-UHF and there is nothing today on the market that actually works any better.

The market could probably use something like this again, but in today's 'dollarettes' it might cost 4K-5K, so it's probably a limited market.

The 'difference' is mostly in receiver performance, since Yaesu did the right thing and did NOT even try to cover frequencies outside the ham bands; which allowed them to use very tightly tuned helical resonators in the front ends, reducing interference from other services outside the bands. They cover the ham bands only, and not 1 kHz outside the ham bands. That was very good engineering, but many nowadays are looking for 'I want to tune everywhere' type coverage which restricts performance.

7. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It is easy to improve receive performance with a mast mounted preamp. Most serious weak signal ops use one anyway!

8. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

because you can build a better 2m rig and it'll be a lot cheaper.

9. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

I do like this question, one I've asked myself many times. I guess an enterprising person could come up with a kit or China-assembled unit that would at least serve a modest market. It's very annoying to be limited to so few rigs.

10. WB2WIK

That can sure improve sensitivity, but it won't help reduce spurs, images, overload, desense, etc. THOSE are the things that really matter, at least to me.

The problem with receivers that can receive outside the ham bands is those things all get worse. Sensitivity is a small part of the formula, but all the sensitivity in the world won't help when your receiver is being saturated by out of band signals.

In the case of wideband preamps, usability often gets worse with a preamp.