Why aren't there any new 2-meter all-mode transceivers anymore?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC0BUS, Sep 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC0BUS

KC0BUS Ham Member QRZ Page

Why doesn't any manufacturer build a dedicated 2-meter-only all-mode transceiver anymore like they used to back in the 1980's?
    Thanks

2. KV3D

KV3D Ham Member QRZ Page

There isn't too much demand, and many people who are on 2m SSB/CW use either homemade or cheaply bought transverters. Manufacturers like sticking with what sells, which is why every year we have a new 2m/70cm FM mobile that does absolutely nothing interesting.

KK4NMA and KC4ETW like this.
  3. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it's because of the cost, price bracket. A 2 meter FM only radio can cost $200 unless it's on sale which they usually are, so how much would an all mode cost? And what could you buy for that money. An all band, all mode FT-817 can be purchased for $600 new.

Although I think you should be able to buy a new 2 meter all mode for the same sort of money as one of the new 2m/70cm digital portables. Seems reasonable. Would I buy one?, no because I have an all band all mode base radio but I can see techs buying them. But again, most of the activity seems to be shifting from SSB to digital on vhf. A new breed of technology and people.

Relatively speaking there isn't much activity on 2m SSB because most of that activity requires a band opening.

I would really liked to have seen a 2m portable with SSB instead of digital. Stability and battery life issues.. I have had a lot of fun with an ft-817 on 2 meters running half a watt on both FM and SSB. Google mountain topping with an ft-817, if you are interested.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The manufacturers discovered they could add more bands inexpensively, so they did that.

The most serious weak signal (SSB) 2m ops are using HF rigs with transverters, big amplifiers, masthead preamps, etc. so having "everything all in one box" isn't terribly important to them.

NO5G likes this.
  5. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

The last multi-mode dual band transceiver was the ICOM IC-910H and that went away when ICOM brought out the IC-9100 160 m through 23 cm with the proper Options. Of course Kenwood still sells the TS-2000, Yaesu has the FT-991 Elecraft K3 with the Optional 2 m transverter but lacks an internal 70 cm transverter so multi-band multi-mode transceivers are available for operating 6 m, 2 m & 70 cm on AM, FM, CW, Digital & SSB plus all of the HF bands.

Dan
    WA9WVX

6. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

We all stopped taking them seriously when they didn't include A.M. on their A.ll M.ode transceivers.

7. KF6A

KF6A Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a good question. I would have to assume it is because there isn't much money to be made or there is more money to be made with other products.

The last 2m all mode I purchased new was a Kenwood TM-255 (along with its twin the TM-455) some time in the 90s if I remember that correctly. I still kick myself for selling the thing, but I am happy with my TS-790.

And the proposition that one is not "serious" unless they use a transverter is absurd.

8. KE4VNC

KE4VNC Ham Member QRZ Page

Had to post expressing my love for the tm-255a. The receiver on that thing is amazing. It's worthwhile to pick up a used all-mode 2 meter rig since it enables you to use digital modes on vhf and that opens up quite a few possibilities for interesting propagation. There might not be a ton of 2m ssb activity in your area, but there are lots of people around with all-mode all-band rigs that could easily use it if you express your interest.

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

How many HF, VHF/UHF all mode rigs are there? Tons, and pricing is competitive. If you were to build a dedicated 2M all mode rig, it would probably cost you as much, or more than a DC-daylight rig. Even if you could come under a little, the market (on the whole) wouldn't accept it - why pay $500 for a single band, when for $600 I can get everything?

Transverters are the answer today.

Steve
    KV6O

10. N9DG

N9DG Ham Member QRZ Page

On the face of it you would think that adding SSB/CW 2M and 70cm capability to HF radios would increase the activity levels on those modes and bands. But the reality is that despite there now being 10's of thousands more radios already in the hands of folks for those bands and modes that there is actually less activity now than there was prior to those so called DC- Daylight radios being available. The conclusion I'm coming to is that prior to about 1990 if you wanted to use those modes on those bands you made the upfront commitment to do so, and you also had to put some $'s down to do it. And because of that commitment you'd be more likely to put the effort into actually using them. Now with those modes just being thrown in as part of the price of the radio you don't have as much reason to make sure that you use those modes on those bands.

NQ1B likes this.