Why are Vanity Calls applying for MORE Vanity Calls?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KX4VJ, Nov 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

As stated in my earlier post I applied for the present call you see now. One thing to take into consideration that I didn't put much thought into was I didn't sign up for much if anything as a technician so I didn't feel the pain of migrating accounts when I changed to my 1 x 3 vanity and subsequently upgraded to general. Fast forward over a decade I have tons of ham related accounts like eQSL LOTW, call sign email account, web based clusters, radio club rosters like NAQC and others, DRM, DSTAR and Echolink and more. I spent a week getting it all sorted out with the new call, newsletters and membership log in credentials redirected to new email and accounts changed to reflect my new call. For one account I couldn't change my call because previous holder already had an account. I couldn't get the wen administrator of the site to respond so I reached out to the previous holder. He was gracious enough to log in and change the credentials so I could assume control of the account.
    I got lucky or else anyone else using that free site for logbook xml data would always have had the wrong name and address for me.

All that said...it's worth considering when searching for a vanity call. If it's one like mine that's been held by several people in recent years you may run into some web related obstacles.

2. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've applied for a 1x2 or 2x1 11 times now and have been denied every time.

Who's butt over at the FCC do you have to kiss to get the call sign? I know it's a lottery amongst the applicants, but jeez... Odds makers, WTF? 11 time looser?

3. N2OG

N2OG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have read this entire thread in hopes of finding some secret to getting a 1x2 or 2x1 Cala sign. I currently have a 2x3 that people rarely hear the first letter of my call sign plus it is too long for contesting.

Fairly new to ham radio, I have made the basic mistakes mentioned here but have learned from this thread. It’s not to late for me to correctly apply and move on. If my first blunder does not land me a 1x2 unwanted call sign.
    Sites like AE7Q need to spell out these issues on the front page. Anyway thanks for the info. No secrets here but at least I will not look stupid, I hope.
    Thanks KN4SMO

4. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Your odds of winning will increase dramatically when everyone has to start laying $50 down on the table for each spin. This $50 application fee is probably going to happen pretty soon now.

K8PG, NQ1B and ND6M like this.
  5. N2OG

N2OG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I figure that is why so many folks are trying now including me. I am trying in several call areas hoping to land one before the fee takes affect!

6. NQ1B

NQ1B Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be very easy for the FCC to make short calls more available and block "hoarding".

Just change the lockup period from 2 years to 6 months, and prevent any licensee from applying for a vanity call more than once per year.

I don't expect that to happen because the FCC doesn't really care.

AF5XF, K8PG, KU4X and 1 other person like this.
  7. NQ1B

NQ1B Ham Member QRZ Page

Hardly a secret, but there are two key things to know:

1) If you want a 1x2 or 2x1, keep applying often. It may take a while, but you'll eventually get one.

2) If you just want a call shorter than 2x3, there are many 1x3 and 2x2 calls available where you will be the only applicant and you are guaranteed to win very quickly. Look for calls that have been available for years without being taken.

Of course, (1) will change if applicants have to pay $50 every time they spin the wheel.

N8RKD likes this.
  8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And the FCC doesn't really care that it is obvious that they don't care.

A well known Medical Plan was upset enough after gathering negative feedback from subscribers to change there telephone message. It now states "We care" with every phone message. But...they don't really care. As Andre Agassi once was quoted in a Camera advertisement...."Image is Everything". Andre caught a lot of flack for that quote afterward. People forgot he was promoting a Camera and not himself. In the case of the Medical Plan it is obvious they are promoting themselves.

9. N6TDG

N6TDG Ham Member QRZ Page

When I changed my call, it was for vanity reasons. When I went from tech to general, I figured I earned a right to change my call with the license upgrade. My original call was KM6PZQ, a mouthful to be certain. I changed it to N6TDG. When I went for my new call, I listed both N6TDG and W6TDG with TDG standing for Tie Dye Guy (which is what we do for a living at fairs these past 25 years) While T-D-G rolls off my tongue, other stations easily confuse the call with D-T-G or some other variation. So be it.

I won't change my call again unless with a license upgrade to Extra the FCC assigns a new call.

Funny, I never heard so many N calls until I changed to my vanity call. I liked the W as it too, rolled off the tongue. I didn't like the K so much. Seemed too harsh. I like saying November 6....

I am an old guy, (early 60s) and have only been licensed since Feb 2018. So nearly three years now. I am proud of my license and my call. I earned it and choose it.

That is my story.

While others would want to tie up a call sign for years on end--I dunno. Because one can, doesn't mean one should.

As for the licensing and transmit requirements, I kinda like the British system in where Foundation can transmit on all bands, although only at ten watts. The next up gets you 400 watts.

I would like to see that modified for the US in that all bands available for tech at ten watts--(Gets antenna theory developed) General at 400 and Extra at Full Legal of 1500 watts.

No call sign change for tech--A unique indentifier for General as well as Extra. This way errant techs that appear to go beyond the ten watts will be identified.

That's my idea anyway. Have a great rest of the year and stay healthy.

10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

...and just how,.... can you tell the actual power level that any station is using?

AF5XF likes this.