Why are Vanity Calls applying for MORE Vanity Calls?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KX4VJ, Nov 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

As stated in my earlier post I applied for the present call you see now. One thing to take into consideration that I didn't put much thought into was I didn't sign up for much if anything as a technician so I didn't feel the pain of migrating accounts when I changed to my 1 x 3 vanity and subsequently upgraded to general. Fast forward over a decade I have tons of ham related accounts like eQSL LOTW, call sign email account, web based clusters, radio club rosters like NAQC and others, DRM, DSTAR and Echolink and more. I spent a week getting it all sorted out with the new call, newsletters and membership log in credentials redirected to new email and accounts changed to reflect my new call. For one account I couldn't change my call because previous holder already had an account. I couldn't get the wen administrator of the site to respond so I reached out to the previous holder. He was gracious enough to log in and change the credentials so I could assume control of the account.
    I got lucky or else anyone else using that free site for logbook xml data would always have had the wrong name and address for me.

All that said...it's worth considering when searching for a vanity call. If it's one like mine that's been held by several people in recent years you may run into some web related obstacles.

2. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've applied for a 1x2 or 2x1 11 times now and have been denied every time.

Who's butt over at the FCC do you have to kiss to get the call sign? I know it's a lottery amongst the applicants, but jeez... Odds makers, WTF? 11 time looser?