Why are Vanity Calls applying for MORE Vanity Calls?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KX4VJ, Nov 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I applied for my vanity callsign in 2007, so there was still a fee. No big deal and I would have no issues paying the fee if they went back to that system. The OP's post is pretty old, I was just browsing around and saw this thread. I am a loss as to why some people change callsigns so frequently in the same call area. I suppose if someone wanted a 2X1/1X2 but they didn't get their first few choices and then one of their choices came up and they applied for it that explains it to some extent. For some people the callsign is identity and for others it is just a callsign that they use on the air.

I will say, I got really lucky to get my first choice KJ5T. I was looking for something that I felt sounded good on SSB and CW, I felt personally (others may disagree) that my top three choices met that (KJ5T, NW5W, and KI5M). Further down the list maybe wouldn't have met the criteria as well (NZ5U, NZ5H, NZ5J, NS5J). Probably weren't that many other 2X1's available and there were zero W5 1x2's when I applied.

2. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

About the only time vanity 1x2 "W", "K" and "N" prefix calls were in abundance is when Gate 2 (opened to Extra class) of the vanity callsign system was opened in November 1996. Prior to that time the last time these "preferred callsigns" were sequentially issued was back in 1977. As expected, in November 1996, most if not all of these Group A callsigns were issued under the vanity program.

3. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is a shame that this ties up the previous call for another two years. It took me over 50 years to find a new call that I liked better than my old call. Unless a W1A*
    opens up this one is a keeper. I don't understand why folks want to change calls every few years, it makes little sense. I'd also favor seeing the vanity call system
    go to seniority based system than a lottery.

What is even odder I know of a few SK calls that were renewed a month after the ham passed
    away. Not sure how that was done, unless it was via one of those prepaid services.

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Could have been a family member.

5. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

What will make you scratch your head just as much is using the RadioQTH website to query "Invalid Call" applications. Some of the ones that people come up with resemble an e-mail typed by the same Prince of Oom Pow-Pow who needs you to send him $100 to cash his lottery winnings. Some are way too long, some without a number and others are just foreign prefix calls.

Living in 4-Land I wanted to keep a 4 call when applying for a 1x2 or 2x1 but ran into the same issue of 20+ applicants. I get it. There are a lot of people in 4 land and the next fastest number to send than 5 in CW is the number 4. So serious CW ops go for 4 and 5 calls and I don't blame them so I knew what I was up against when applying for anything that wasn't a phoenetic dumpster fire, fast on the key or both.

I decided staying a 4 wasn't so important to me so I picked a 9 land 2x1 call I really liked that was easy to say and not bad on CW and to my astonishment I was the only person who didn't apply to early, too late or put in more than one application on the same day, which is a no-no. Now I just have to wait out what's left of the 18-20 day processing period.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

There are some hams who take advantage of the "2 years to reclaim" rule - they apply for a new vanity call and use it for a while, then apply for another, then another, then another - and just keep moving back and forth between them - as long as no call ever sits unused for more than the 2 years, they get "first dibs" to take it back.

True story. I know two folks who do this - one a local (who juggles about 6 1x2 vanity calls) and one here on QRZ

I think it's a ridiculous practice - how do you keep it straight who the heck you are at any give time? LOL! But the FCC allows it.

I'll now be W7UUU (yes, it's a vanity) until I'm a silent key with absolutely no desire to change it.

Dave
    W7UUU

K8PG, N3RYB and K3XR like this.
  7. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I looked up a call that I wanted to apply for and the previous owner had that call twice and a total of TEN call signs. Boggles my mind.

K8PG and W7UUU like this.
  8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hoomin beans boggle my mind. They never cease to meet my constantly declining expectations. We are a devious lot.
    We've met the enemy and he is us!

KK9W likes this.
  9. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

That is fact! My 3rd and final call (2x1) shall be approved by the end of the month. The reason for dropping my vanity 1x3 is so my daughter, who is the KLB in K4KLB, can have it. I planned this long ago.

KG5THG likes this.
  10. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

After my quest for a vanity, I noticed the winner of one of my more-preferred signs had only had it for two months before changing. Now it's locked out for two years. He did that with one more call, too. If it's not a call you like, don't put it down on the list...

K8PG and KK9W like this.