Why are Vanity Calls applying for MORE Vanity Calls?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KX4VJ, Nov 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KX4VJ

KX4VJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, all... I just passed my exam a couple of weeks ago and figured "right away" is the best time to change call signs if I'm going to do it. I think I've figured out the "game" of getting a vanity call and have applied for a couple.
    But over the weekend I checked the status of my application for K4LT and found that there are 30-ish applicants! Okay, fine. But SEVEN of those already have 4-digit vanity calls in the same region, some granted in the last year or two. None has an obvious connection to the new call.
    What gives?

Assumption: A four-digit call sign is a vanity call sign. These were not randomly assigned, they were applied for by the holder.
    Question 1: What operational reasons might someone need to change their vanity call sign after a year or two? Could someone get confused for a previous call sign holder? (Kind of like getting a new phone and it starts ringing for the old owner of that number.) Might they find that it's too difficult to CW? Might the previous holder have been some sort of ham legend? With little experience, I can't see why abandoning a vanity call sign might be necessary, especially since it was pursued and competed for by the current holder.
    Question 2: Are vanity calls viewed as a constrained resource, like spectrum? Or is the "game" attribute of trying to get one some sort of sport within the ham community?
    Question 3: Unless I'm mistaken, if someone with a vanity call is granted a new vanity call, their old one is sidelined for two years and one day before a new applicant can try for them. So a vanity call that is granted, used for a year, then abandoned spends four out of five years unavailable to everyone else. Is this understanding correct?
    I feel like I'm fresh off the airplane in a foreign land trying to decipher behaviors I don't understand. Thanks for filling me in on some of this. I had hoped to be able to secure a call sign to keep for a very long time and not use the assigned one too long, but this may take a lot longer than I thought.

KX4VJ (for now)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  2. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not all four-character call signs are vanity call signs. Mine is not. I am the original holder and it pre-dates the vanity system. When the N-series was first made available, extras could request one, and I did. UP is for Upminster, where I was born. So not sequentially assigned, but also not vanity.

Why do people switch call signs? No doubt everyone has his or her own reasons. I would not change call signs lightly or often. But the way it sounds on CW and on SSB are factors for me. My club has a vanity call sign ( N4ACW ) and it was chosen for how it sounds both on CW and SSB. We were tempted to go for a a rarer prefix as K, N, W are most common, but for us how it sounds was more important. I don't know that anyone ever "needs" to change their call sign. Wanting to, I understand.

Yes the short calls are limited resources. All the more reason why someone with a short call should not easily be able to change call signs and tie up the old one.

3. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Tim,

Congratulations on passing your exams, and welcome to Amateur Radio!

N4UP's comments above have pretty much summed up the situation, and the reasons why folks are changing call signs. As he noted, 1x2 and 2x1 calls are in short supply, so there are some hams out there that get their jollies by playing the game of flipping call signs. Sad, but there is nothing to be done about it.

There is a good number of them that go about it with this mind-set: I'll take whatever I can get at first, and if I don't like it, I will apply for the next one that I (think I) can live with. And these folks don't have a problem with tying up multiple call signs, via the 2 year wait period, in their quest for "perfection." And then there are the hard-core "flippers" who keep a stable of short calls tied up by reactivating them on a regular basis using the "previous holder" rule.

All that being said, I would encourage you to: a) only apply for a call you really want and can live with, and; 2) be prepared for the possible long-haul in acquiring a 1x2 or 2x1 call. If you are really unhappy with your present call, you might consider getting an available 2x2 or 1x3 that suits you. You may end up liking it better than a 1x2 or 2x1!

Good luck and good hunting.

Regards,
    -Bruce

4. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Look up my current call, it shows as a HV. BUT it is my sequentially assigned call sign back when I was Advanced and used for almost a decade. When I made Extra I requested a 1X2. Then a couple years later I made a trip back home. No one knew who I was. So I made another vanity app to get my old call back as a prior holder. Now I get on the air up there and get called by name.

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

The blame for changing your vanity call as often as you change your underwear is not the fault of the applicant. It's the fault of the FCC who has a system permitting it to take place.

WD0BCT likes this.
  6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not all vanity call signs are short or CW friendly. Mine is a vanity call sign which was my original call sign after upgrading from a novice in NY while living in Nebraska. When I renewed my license after a 20 year lapse I considered going to a vanity call but decided to ask for my original call sign. Reason...after all these years my old call sign felt like it was mine. I had used it for 20 years. And, as another ham pointed out, it was good having a callsign that was unique to me! It never belonged to anyone else.

7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be best to have a rule that says a person cannot take advantage of the vanity system any more than once every three years, perhaps with the exception of applying for the callsign of a deceased close relative.

8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why every 3 years? Why not until the end of your current license period or upgrade with the exception of callsigns of close relatives. Why should the FCC trouble themselves with issuing call signs to anyone who applies for a new call sign just because they want a new one? The Vanity call sign business has gotten totally out of control.

How about making the applicant pay for the new call sign? That would slow down multiple applications and fund other things at the FCC like tracking down miscreants and other causes of RFI.

9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Because three years would solve the biggest problem, yet still make the vanity program available to people. Perhaps a longer time would be better, but I don't necessarily think a person needs to wait until their license is up for renewal.

KD7ICW likes this.
  10. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

First of all, welcome to the hobby. I wish you many years of enjoyment.

1. I'm sure you're aware that there is no requirement to change your callsign although was you mention there are some operation reasons you might want to. I would not want to send KX4VJ in CW on a regular basis :) On voice or data, I can't see that it would make much of a difference unless you're a contester who thinks a shorter or more understandable call will make it easier to break through a pileup. However, nobody "needs" to change their callsign....ask my brother, WA2BMO. :) It's really a personal choice, like getting a vanity license plate for your car.

2. I know some people get caught up in the call sign lottery, but I wouldn't exactly call it a sport within the ham community. I think the majority of people have enough money invested in personalized pins, hats, mugs, QSL cards, etc that it wouldn't be cost-effective to change every year. You're right, if you're going to do it, do it right away.

I remember when they first started assigning vanity callsigns....it was a strange time. Before then, your callsign had always been your identity, and people were proud of their callsigns. Suddenly ops were jumping on new callsigns like a fat kid on cake. It got hard to keep things straight there for a while.

3. As I understand it, your assertion that a callsign could be on the shelf for 4 out of 5 years is correct, unless the op has a relative that wants to take it over.

The callsign lottery has always seemed a little odd to me....people sitting around counting the number of days since an op became a SK. To each his own I guess. I know they'll be fighting over N2SUB when I'm dead and gone. So, if you're asking for an explanation of this behavior, I'm afraid I don't have one. I don't understand it myself. But I assure you it is just a subset of the ham population.

Again, welcome and enjoy the hobby.