Why are there so many Yaesu Transceivers on ebay ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by 2E0EUG, Jul 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. 2E0EUG

2E0EUG XML subscriber QRZ Page

Why so many, every day I look its nearly all Yaesu with a few Kenwoods and a couple of Icoms, are Yaesu really that bad ?

2. 2E0EUG

2E0EUG XML subscriber QRZ Page

3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Lamp post statistics...

K4AGO and KD2ACO like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yaesu introduces new models quickly.

KD4AYU, KS2G and K4AGO like this.
  5. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

:D
    hams get bored quickly!

new radio perceived to bring in more signals then old one!

yaesu moves a lot of radios!

is it really important

:D

KD4AYU and 2E0EUG like this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. Kenwood is in a lot of businesses and ham radio is only a small part of what they do; they don't bring out new gear very often; Icom may be a bit more active with new models, but it seems Yaesu wins the prize for "new models each year," so even die-hard Yaesu fans sell stuff often, just to buy the new stuff.

VK6APZ and 2E0EUG like this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If a manufacturer sells a lot of radios it can be expected that a lot of them will show up on the used market. No brainer. Look how many Icom 7300s are being sold used.

KD4AYU, VK6APZ, WE4E and 3 others like this.
  8. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have owned five Yaesu transceivers. One (a two meter) was dead right out of the box; Yaesu replaced it with no questions asked. One (HF rig) I kept one day and took it back to the dealer and traded up to a much more expensive (FT 900) model. The other three I still own and they operate perfectly. They are an FT 950, and two each FT450Ds.

Yaesu makes a fine product. There is nothing "bad" to say about them.

I also own Three Icom radios. I cannot say anything bad about them either

I also own three TenTec Omni VII transceivers. The TenTec's are great radios too. Unfortunately the current manufacturer leaves a lot to be desired where service and customer service are concerned. But, he runs his business the way he wants to run his business and that is his right. To me, a companies customer service is just as important as the radio they make. I won't buy another TenTec.

Yaesu and Icom both have great customer service and service departments. I will buy Yaesu and Icom radios again in the future. The only complaint I have about Yaesu and Icom is that they become obsolete very quickly. That means that you cannot find parts for them if and when they break. I assume that is because they are constantly innovating and upgrading their product line.

Yaesu would rather sell you a new radio than to stock warehouses full of obsolete IC chips to repair old radios with. Maybe that is why you see lots of good used Yaesu radios on eBay. Once I fall in love with a radio, I tend to keep her until she dies. By then it is too late to buy repair parts. That is a fault of mine. My wife tells me that all the time; she's right too.

There are excellent radio repairmen that can still fix the old obsolete Yaesu and Icom radios. I suspect they bought up the components (ICs) from Yaesu so they could repair the obsolete radios. I have no real proof of that; take it for what it's worth.

I probably would not buy a used Yaesu transceiver if it is no longer in production and more than about six or eight years old unless it is old enough to have discrete components and tube finals. That's my perspective on the subject. Others will certainly have different, valuable, points of view. The gentlemen that frequent these forums are extremely intelligent. I have learned a lot from them; I have a lot more to learn.
    73 John
    K4AGO

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    KD4AYU, VK6APZ, 2E0EUG and 1 other person like this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Looking through that link, there are a LOT of radios for sale - many brands represented.

Yaesu, Icom, and Kenwood are still very much the "Big Three" so not at all a surprise to me that they are very commonly for sale.

Nothing unusual here - no conclusions to draw except folks like to sell stuff and get new stuff from time to time :)

Dave
    W7UUU

KD4AYU and K3XR like this.
  10. W0DV

W0DV Ham Member QRZ Page

pfft, lol