Why are there so few SWAN radios for sale?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KP4SX, Jul 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

They were on sale last week but they drifted away.
    Tom WA4ILH

K6LPM, K4AGO, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  2. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

I collect and use Swan. No issues. I got rid of almost all of my UJR's (Universal Japanese Radios). I don't need a magnifying glass or a special SM soldering iron to keep them working.

N4NYK, W4NNF and KA4DPO like this.
  3. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

My Swan 500 doesn't need a amplifier to be heard.

AF7XT, NL7W, N4NYK and 2 others like this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The 350s were notorious for their <ahem> freewheeling behavior. But Swan, to their credit, improved the VFO as they went along. The 500c was better and the 700s were better than that.

5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I always thought Swan radios were kind of cool, even thought they have sweep tube finals. I remember there was one that had like a 12 pole crystal filter in it, you don't see those for sale very often. One think I will say for W6QKI, Herb Johnson, the original owner of Swan.

Unlike some contemporary US radio companies, Herb was not afraid to take a risk. After he sold his company to Cubic, they started going in a direction that he didn't like, so he pulled out and founded Atlas. The Atlas 210 and 215 were all solid state, and were very successful, unfortunately as Herbs health deteriorated so did Atlas.

Anyway, I have always thought the Swan 270 and 270B with the plug in 12volt converter was pretty cool.

Swan_Cygnet_270.jpg

K4AGO, K9ASE, NL7W and 2 others like this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Never had a Cygnet. I did have the 350, the 500c, and the 700cx. I probably liked the 500 best and remember it most fondly; it was the one I used the most. By the time I picked up a 700, I'd got my first REAL job and was soon all about Drake and Collins. I don't think I ever had as much fun with the TR4 or the KWM-2 as I did with that Swan 500, though. Good times. :)

K4AGO, KA4DPO, NL7W and 1 other person like this.
  7. W5INC

W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The 600s were a little backwards when compared to other separates such as the S Line and B Line. There were more Xmtrs produced then receivers with 600 of the 600Ts being made and only 450 600Rs. The SS16 was indeed an option as was the AM filter and crystal lattice filter. I have a set of 600s that were produced at the very end of their production run and probably in the last 20 pieces that were made. The 600s sure do look good and I sure won't be getting rid of my pair anytime soon.

K4AGO, KA4DPO and K3XR like this.
  8. KE9EX

KE9EX Subscriber QRZ Page

I sent mine off to be repaired and
    He couldnt fix it either. HF 700 S.
    It's probably in the scrap heap by now.
    I've got some 6MJ6's to sell cheap;
    Just need to get around to posting an ad.

9. KC3EPA

KC3EPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the special SM soldering gun.
    Even on newer units with solder points so close together I have to mask off adjacent areas.
    If you get solder where it does not belong and try removal with new lead free solder it can be tricky.

10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

My Swan is an amplifier for that matter.

MVC-009F.jpg

MVC-012F.jpg

So why is it not for sale?

Well to answer this question it's because I rebuilt the whole thing. So why would I put all this work into my Swan, only to sell it away to someone else?

See? ... there's always a logical explanation for everything. :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    K4AGO, KA4DPO, K3XR and 3 others like this.