Why are there so few SWAN radios for sale?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KP4SX, Jul 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Didn't Swan offer a 16 pole crystal filter at one time? I remember seeing a Swan 500 or 700 SS-16 special.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They did.

All the Swans I ever worked on were single-conversion with just one I.F. so "great filtering" helped a lot, as there was only one place to use a filter.

They were very simple rigs, even the 600 twins were. I remember the 600R was about 50% "empty space" inside, and was large mostly to create a big front panel with big, easy-to-grab controls. With a smaller panel, it could have been half the size.:p

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They were simple rigs...but that was kind of a plus in that they were trivial--relatively speaking--to work on. My old man even built himself a clone of the 350 (Swan was happy to sell him the parts he needed specific to the rig). Performance? For the price, they stood up fairly well in those days...They were certainly not Collins or even Drake, but for most of us including me "good enough." :)

K0UO and KA4DPO like this.
  4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For a time, it seems like there was a PEP war between Swan and Yaesu. The FTdx series was introduced around the same time as the Swan 350. The Swan 500 was quickly brought out to compete with the FTdx 400, followed by the Swan 700, at least it seemed that way.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. Swans were the first SSB transceivers many hams ever owned in the 1960s, all driven by price; and the price: performance ratio wasn't bad.

6. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a siltronix 1011d that I had read was build by Swan, it was truly a loser. Now I'm not sure if in fact Swan was the builder but I have heard that over the years. 73 Rich

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yessir - Siltronix was the CB radio division of Swan. VERY famous for their "sliders" (What hams call a VFO)

Dave
    W7UUU

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. W9RAC

I had that in 1973. It had a vfo but it drifted everyplace. 73 Rich

9. W9RAC

10. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page