Why are there so few SWAN radios for sale?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KP4SX, Jul 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think they just drifted away.:D

W7UUU, N2EY and W4NNF like this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On edit:

OUCH...NNF is back in zombieland. :)

That said...I still remember my 500 fondly and sometimes think about buying and restoring one. So far I have restrained myself. ;)

[​IMG]

PU2OZT and KA4DPO like this.
  3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I really wanted a Signet 270 for years. They were a cool little rig, little at the time anyway, and had an optional DC supply. The 260 had some stability issues that were fixed it the 270, and the 270 had a meter instead of that crummy neon tuning lamp. If you ever heard one on the air, they sounded very good.

W4NNF likes this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Cygnet (as in baby Swan).

The original tuning indicator (which only worked on TX and did nothing on RX) wasn't neon, it was an electron ray tube, similar to the old 6E5 (and similar) "magic eye" tubes of the Gonset era. I actually kinda liked that, although it, and even the "output meter" that followed, didn't adequately indicate things that would be useful like plate current.:p The old "dip the plate" tuning guys must have gone crazy.:)

KA4DPO likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

MISERABLE rig that! No CW filter, no RIT, mic was permanently attached, DC power supply included whether you wanted it or not, broad as a barn, tuning dial backlash.... there was not much to love about the 260.

I was hoodwinked by a local "wheeler dealer" to trade my wonderful SB-101 straight across for the 260 .... this was about 1978, when I was 16 or 17 - he convinced me it was "nearly new and modern vs. your tired old ancient SB-101".... he had a buyer for an SB-101 and just wanted to unload the 260 and I fell for it.

Really bad taste in my mouth and memory of the 260 - the one "nostalgic rig" that will never enter the W7UUU shack lineup :)

Dave
    W7UUU

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

That was a really bad trade.

An SB-101 is like a KWM-2 but better on CW, really nice rig. The Cygnet 260 was a dud. The 270 that followed was definitely better, but still not an SB-101.:p

W4NNF likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I was just a stupid kid taken in by a wheeler dealer.... I can't mention his name/call as he's quite beloved in "local Northwest ham circles" and now a SK but he really burned me on that deal - who takes advantage of a kid like that? What a schmuck

I practically cried when I realized how I had been taken in (note that I didn't get to try the 260 out first - it was a trade done out of the trunk of his car)

Dave
    W7UUU

8. WB2WIK

Anything else in that trunk?

Ya know what they say: A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move -- the body.

9. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You still want that 350 I have? I did pick up a rebuild kit for the power supply, but I still don’t know when I’m going to get to it.

10. KJ7MX

KJ7MX Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok since my last post I’ve added a 260 to sit next to the 300b. It’s In absolute like new condition but with THAT said, It was for the collection and I too would’ve cried if it were my only rig. Good lord even doing an alignment requires an external meter to be hooked up. On another note the 600r custom was repaired by Mike at Affordable Radio and is fully up to snuff. Next project is to remove the cw filter from the ugly 600r so that the 600r custom ss16b will have the full compliment of filters - cw,ssb, and am. Can’t explain it but just love running the 600 twins!

W7UUU likes this.