Why are there so few SWAN radios for sale?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KP4SX, Jul 12, 2019 at 6:12 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is it because they are so good and flawless the owners prefer to keep them?

K4AGO, W1BR, AC8UN and 1 other person like this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think not. In fact, probably the opposite.

K4KYV likes this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They're swimming around this time of year, accompanied by some Drakes.

KG4RRH, K8AI and WU8Y like this.
  4. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They all went to Canada for the summer?

N6HCM, K9ASE, KA4DPO and 1 other person like this.
  5. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

LOL ! You really are asking that ?

6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Negative. They were denied entry at the border, so they're now in Swanville: https://www.swanvillemn.com/

K9ASE and N1VAU like this.
  7. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

500 different models

700 with Russian tubes would do 500 plus watts

Ran them mostly on CW and got several OO reports. Still have the violation cards.

They were fun, at the time

K4AGO likes this.
  8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I usually see at least one on a fleamarket table at any hamfest I go to, so I wouldn't say your thesis is correct. Maybe not as many as some other boatanchors but they are not an unusual find.

Otherwise? Those like me who used 'em in the 70s and 80s are apt to feel nostalgic about them and hang on to them. Certainly they are not collector's items like a Hammarlund or a Collins, not even close, and that doesn't encourage a big market like that for the caviar boat anchors.

Despite that, the humble Swans worked pretty well for their time and were what I could afford. Have you used one? Especially the later 500s and 700s?

W5BIB and WA4KCN like this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Never owned the transmitter but did own the receiver for a time. Very nice receiver.
    [​IMG]

If I recall it had a special SSB filter which may have been an option. Would need to research it some more.

W1BR and NL7W like this.
  10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I actually like Swans. K4DPK, Phil, makes an addon that corrects drifting automatically although I turned mine on 30 minutes in advance and had very little drift. Side note are the people who can't tune SSB by ear. They need the digital dial and your frequency. I just find them and tune them. No need for a digital dial to have fun with any old rig. (SIWSSTD) :)

WE4E, NL7W, WA7PRC and 3 others like this.