Why are Squalo/Halo antennas so expensive?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by AI0K, Oct 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. AI0K

AI0K Ham Member QRZ Page

More of a complaint than anything.

I'm looking for a horizontally polarized omnidirectional antenna for 2M SSB. I've found several commercial Halo and Squalo antennas but all are in the $100+ price range. Being retired I need to watch the pocketbook (if I don't, the XYL will :) ).

I've had the plans for a homebrew one for over a year but just haven't been able to find the time to build one. Being retired means less time for ham radio than when I was working!

Anyone have a lead on a reasonably priced antenna such as I'm looking for? I'd really like to get something up before the snow falls.

TIA.

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I just did a search on eBay and found this one for $59.

PU2OZT, AI0K and AK5B like this.
  3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

you can have money, or time, but not both.

N5YPJ and AI0K like this.
  4. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I made a 6M version from a lawn chair. Just an idea.
    Mike N3PM

N5YPJ, K9XR, PU2OZT and 2 others like this.
  5. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

I know what you mean about being retired and time...

FWIW, HVAC soft copper tubing is ripe for homebrewing small or large loops; just fashion a gamma match out of some with some RG-8 sized coax.

If I can find a link to a 2m/70cm DIY HO loop build I had somewhere I will post it later.*

Jeff

(coincidentally The Loopy Guy in South Texas)

* found the link faster than I ever imagined: https://www.kr1st.com/70cmstack.htm !

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I just hit the hamfests that attract the younger crowd. They often pass up incredible deals because they don't know what it is. Snagged 2 attenuators in Belton a few weeks ago -- $10 each. One is a commercial unit good for 101 dB. Found my 2m square loop for $35 or so at another hamfest, and a long-wire tuner for $40 as the seller was packing up.

AK5B likes this.
  7. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Hamfests? What are those? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

AI0K and K9XR like this.