ad: vanity

Why are some so negativity in the Amateur radio hobby?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AB2YC, Nov 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not only did they (meaning Kodak) took away our Kodachrome, they took away our Panatomic-X! Agfa had a film that was almost as good as Panatomic-X, but close and not a cigar!

In high school, and college, I was adept at getting "candid" photographs but not much else. It was after I started seriously writing magazine articles that I got really interested in photography. Magazines paid by the number of pages an article "took up" and photographs "took up" a lot of space. I acquired several SLR cameras and established a darkroom in my house. That way I could easily control the quality, etc., of article photographs at a minimum cost.

Since we had a darkroom, all 3 of my daughters started taking photographs at an early age. In college, my eldest daughter "tested out of" all Math, Science, and English classes but still had to have "elective" courses to make up the "hours". She took quite a few photography courses to compensate for these hours. One of these courses used "large format" cameras so I acquired a 4 X 5 camera and the necessary items to develop the film in our darkroom.

Being an advertising art major, her very first art class project was to draw a certain statue located on the campus. She complained that she just didn't have time to sit down, at the statue's location, and draw it. I reminded her that we had a darkroom, and she had a camera, and to take photographs of the statue from various angles. Then, come home, develop the film, choose the angle from which she wanted to draw the statue, and then draw it! She did such and got an A+ on the drawing. Today, over 30-years later, she carries a camera with her, all the time, and takes hundreds of photographs. Then, she chooses certain ones and paints the scenes, sometimes combining 2, or more, into the same painting. She makes a VERY good living selling her paintings!

Getting back to the negativity in amateur radio:

There have always been a segment of amateur radio operators with a negative view on life. Unfortunately, there does seem to be a lot more of such persons in the general population than ever before and amateur radio has garnered an increasing number of these persons. The Internet, and especially "social media" thereon, has given those persons an outlet wherein they can remain virtually anonymous, well, at least hidden behind a keyboard, and can spew virtually anything they wish to spew. Like it or not, within the amateur radio community QRZ.com IS social media!

Pessimists have always been around and social media allows them to express their negativity on a much larger scale than ever before. Unfortunately, where such is the case, opposites do NOT attract but those with the same pessimistic attitude do attract. The result is a significant number of threads, and posts, that do reflect such a negative position and, again unfortunately, such posts do gain many other posts in both agreement and in disagreement. This results in very lengthy threads which, sometimes, then have to be "shut down" by a moderator when things get too confrontational.

Remember, to a pessimist the glass is half empty; to an optimist the glass is half full; but to an engineer the container needs resizing!

Glen, K9STH

K4AGO and W4ZD like this.
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

For some reason, there's always been a bit of a pipeline from AK to Slovenia on 30 meters. I didn't even know where the place was till they kept showing up. :)

3. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, to each his own.

Here, the situation that you describe was prevalent when I started in the late 60s.

Radio amateurs usually were nice and well-behaved people and most belonged to the "educated classes".

AR was in many aspects the elite it is intended to be.

But in the mid 80s something happened, and a steady inflow of socially handicapped and unqualified amateurs became evident.

"Repeater Wars", jamming and even physical threats became quite commonplace.

The situation has not improved, and with the proliferation of Internet forums where the bottom-feeders congregate all forms of strange behaviour have suddenly become public.

Many amateurs,like me, have abandoned the 'phone modes altogether in self-defence and have become 100% Morse, but a growing number also have left AR completely.

What Umberto Eco wrote about "social media" and the "invasion of the idiots" is depressingly true...

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

It sure seems that way doesn't it. :)

Not sure where we are in this solar cycle exactly lately, but I noticed DX conditions improving over the past week or so especially in the morning and evening gray line hours.

Heck if I can make contacts into Europe using a portable 5 watt qrp station with a makeshift fishing pole vertical antenna, maybe there's hope after all... :)

5. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ is extremely tame compared to a bicycling forum I frequent.

W7UUU likes this.
  6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I might tend to be grumpy as well if I had that thin little thing wedged up there too.

W4ZD likes this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well there's the problem too many not in the "educated classes" and not among the "elite" have taken over the hobby. How dare everyday folks participate.

"But in the late 80s something happened, and a steady inflow of socially handicapped and unqualified amateurs became evident.

"Repeater Wars", jamming and even physical threats became quite commonplace"

Can't speak for your country but have a good idea where these "socially handicapped" and "unqualified amateurs" came from .

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

facepalm bugs.png big 10-4.jpg CB.png

WD8ED likes this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I can imagine. Some forums are just seething cesspits and often times, there are moderators that are out of control as well.

QRZ is one of the most civil forums I've ever followed

This being said as Dave W7UUU not Dave Moderator

Dave
    W7UUU

W4NNF likes this.
  10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

This IS social media albeit an obscure piece.

And this place doesn't reflect the character of ham radio. Just the denizens of qrz.com, some of whom serve only as a bad example.

W2VW and WZ7U like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.