Why are some so negativity in the Amateur radio hobby?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AB2YC, Nov 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I agree. Maybe it's just that clean NH air.......?? ;)

N1VAU likes this.
  2. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Shh..... it's a secret!

KA2RRK likes this.
  3. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

In real life, I have always found that the VAST MAJORITY of Radio Amateurs are helpful, friendly and grateful people . . . both on the air, and even more so, in person.

The problem is that online, it's very easy so hide behind this impersonal medium. And some people seem to get a "buzz" out of putting people down, or getting aggressive or abusive with their comments.

Psychologists will tell you that these people are bullies, which is due to their own insecurities, usually stemming from their childhood experiences.

And the problem with Forums like this is that you only need one or two people like that to lower the tone, and to put decent people off from posting.

I work mainly from home these days, so pop on here quite a lot, trying to offer help and advice to people, as well as sharing my 50 years of experience in the hobby.

I used to go on a particular Forum for one of my cars . . . but got sick of many of the idiots on there. If someone simply didn't agree with your opinion, they would get REALLY abusive !

They couldn't appreciate that there is no Right or Wrong with an Opinion . . . I guess there are several people on here that don't understand that either!

So try not to let these negative people put you off this website . . . or more importantly, the Hobby.

Roger G3YRO

K4AGO, M0REU, W4NNF and 3 others like this.
  4. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I would like to do a video on ham radio but so far no one will do it with me. Maybe cause it has a R rating.
    And within 5 seconds of the beginning of the movie there is a murder.

Give us a link to a single short positive video:

The second a single short negative video:

KA2RRK

5. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems there are quite a few miserable people into radio. (not all of course) ...and of course, misery loves company. :)

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

For starters QRZ.com while it may be a related site is not ham radio.
    Communication has more than one definition some may think that more than one definition applies in this instance .

• the successful conveying or sharing of ideas and feelings.
      "there was a lack of communication between Pamela and her parents"
    • means of sending or receiving information, such as telephone lines or computers.
      "satellite communications" ยท "a communications network"
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=COMMUNICATION&pc=MOZI&form=MOZLBR

Not sure if this site meets the definition of "social media" I would give that label to something like facebook, twitter etc. but having never participated in those platforms don't have a basis for comparison beyond what I read or hear people discussing .

Some may find the comments of others to be negative the most important consideration is the freedom to post such comments regardless of agreement.

7. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of us just love a tickle of high voltage alil too often is all.

KA2RRK

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

AND... they took our Kodachrome away! :( There is (or ever was) NOTHING that compares with K25.;)

KK7NAZ, W7UUU and KA2RRK like this.
  9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

This forum isn't ham radio. It doesn't represent a consensus of hams, it doesn't elicit participation by the majority of hams and it's enrollment is a trivial fraction of the ham community. Making any generality about ham radio from what one sees on this forum is therefore a patently incorrect assumption.

What your premise does do is foster divisiveness among the denizens of this forum by implying negativity where none exists except here.

VK4HAT likes this.
  10. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

True, it's much better, more intelligent, lively active hams.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.