Why are some so negativity in the Amateur radio hobby?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AB2YC, Nov 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

negativity everywhere in our society - not just in amateur radio.

2. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

And it's always been that way....

The doomsaying and negativity and such have been going on pretty much since the very beginning of Amateur Radio. Having done a bit of research into US amateur radio history, I notice the following.....

In 1912-1913, when licenses became mandatory, power was limited to 1000 watts and wavelengths limited to 200 meters and down, there were those who said that amateur radio was dying out. No way it would survive with all those restrictions. Many hams left the air and did not return.

In 1917-1919, when amateur radio was shut down for WW1, there were those who said that amateur radio would never come back. Many who went to war did not return at all; others returned but were interested in other things. And when US hams were allowed back on the air, the new licenses required "harder" tests and there were more restrictions.....

In the early 1920s, when spark was being replaced by C.W., and 200 meters was being abandoned for the "short waves", there were those who said that amateur radio was dying out. They said nobody could afford the complicated new stuff ("fugitives from a lightbulb factory"). Some left when King Spark was dethroned, and never came back.

In the 1920s, when "RADIO" meant "AM broadcasting", there were those who said that BCI (Broadcast Interference) would cause amateur radio to die out. And it was a real problem for many. Some left and never came back.

In 1927, when new regulation required pure DC signals, and the 20 and 40 meter bands were dramatically narrowed (40 used to to be 7000 to 8000 kc. and 20 used to be 14,000 to 16,0000 kc.) there were those that said the "1929 regs" would cause amateur radio to die out. Some could not deal with the new regs, left and never came back.

When the stock market crashed in 1929, there were those who said amateur radio would die out because nobody could afford hobbies any more.

When World War 2 started and kept spreading....there were those who said amateur radio would die out if the war lasted more than a year or two.

In the late 1940s and into the early 1950s, US hams were faced with multiple problems. 160 was mostly gone to LORAN. TV was the new rage, meaning transmitters and designs that were perfectly fine before TV arrived were useless due to TVI. The restructuring of 1951 gave us the new Novice and Technician and the Great Giveaway of Christmas 1952 gave all US hams except Technicians and Novices full privileges. There were those who said all that would cause amateur radio to die out. "No kids, no lids, no space cadets".

When SSB began to appear on the HF amateur bands, there were those who said it would cause amateur radio to die out. "You can easily tell a sidebander - he understands every word of a Donald Duck cartoon the first time", "the ARRL is shoving SSB down our throats", "it's too complicated and expensive for 99% of hams", etc.

When homebrewing continued to decline, replaced by surplus conversion, kits, and manufactured ham gear, there were those who said it would cause amateur radio to die out. "Appliance operators"......

When transceivers replaced separates....and when "imported" rigs replaced US-made....there were those who said amateur radio was dying out.

When "incentive licensing" was proposed....there were those who said it would kill amateur radio. When it was enacted, there were those who said the end was just around the corner.

When the CB boom happened....FM and repeaters....the VEC system...changes to the license structure....the internet, cell phones, etc......all were The End Of Amateur Radio.

See a pattern there?

I became a ham in 1967, and there were plenty of doomsayers back then. If I'd listened to them, I'd have missed out on over a half-century of fun.

The good old days weren't always good.
    Tomorrow's not as bad as it seems.

Follow the rules, regs, and The Amateur's Code, learn as much as you can, develop your skills, have fun, and forget about the doomsayers. They just don't know what's what and they will never admit to being wrong.

73 de Jim, N2EY

VK4FFAB and W2AAT like this.
  3. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

nature drives us to be competitive. Anger/jealousy/sadness/coveting/etc. drive us to ACTION - it's instinct. Happiness/Love/etc. leads to complacency (not a bad thing) and is more culture / society driven. It's very hard for culture to overrule instinct.

4. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

The "truth" be know, 1 + 1 = 2 is not really the "truth". It is an accepted convention or concept in Arabic numbers. In Roman numerals 1 + 1 = 11.

Yes, we accept 1 + 1 = 2 and then that becomes a "fact" that is accepted as a truth. But, only this acceptance makes it a fact.

Glen, K9STH

5. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

No.

In Roman numerals, I + I = II.

And the meaning of "I" in Roman numerals is the same as the meaning of "1" in Arabic numerals, and the meaning of II in Roman numerals is the same as the meaning of "2" in Arabic numerals.

The truth value is unchanged by using different symbols.

No. It is a truth and a fact regardless of whether we "accept" it.

Here's proof:

There was a time when it was widely "accepted" that the Earth was the center of the Universe, and that everything in the skies rotated around the Earth. The moon, the sun, the planets, the stars - all went around the Earth.

Yet this was not true, nor a fact. It was simply accepted, based on the limited information available at the time.

Then more information became available, and the true nature of the heliocentric Solar System became apparent.

The truth and the facts of the Earth and planets going around the Sun had been there billions of years before people came along. That people took some time to realize that truth and those facts does not change anything.

6. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

1+1=10
    1+1+1=11

VK4FFAB and KJ4VTH like this.
  7. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Subscriber QRZ Page

i + i = ii or 2
    i + x = xi or 11
    i + i + i = iii or 3

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    N2EY likes this.
  8. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

N0TZU likes this.
  9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Complex exponentials still cause me to shudder. :eek:

10. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's one of those things that I understand when I study it and then forget everything about it when I don't use it.

KK5JY likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.