ad: dxeng

Why are some so negativity in the Amateur radio hobby?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AB2YC, Nov 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Eye witnesses are notoriously unreliable. They testify to what they think is the "truth," and it is often incorrect. "Truth" is an abstraction, and it is often only an approximation of reality. What about the "truth" of Newtonian mechanics? It's pretty close when used to describe the motion a snail, and falls on its face when used to model particles traveling at near the speed of light. And in between, pick your color, white or black. The same concept holds for just about everything. There is no absolute "truth." Well, except for perhaps death and taxes. :p

2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It all revolves around the soon the be deceased generation thinking they are superior to every other generation. We are all narcissists who are the greatest and everyone else was crap. Its just how it goes for lots of people. I think about things a little different to most, my money is on my grand kids generation being better and achieving more than mine ever will and could. The future has to be better, because the past has been nothing but a total disaster. See, i think my kids and grandkids will have the courage to live in peace with others. Something previous generations have totally failed on time and time again.

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Your opinion has been noted.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2018-11-6_15-40-17.jpeg

W0AEW and WZ7U like this.
  5. W4ZD

This thread is veering into the political, a violation of the TOS. I will say no more, and neither should you. Thanks a lot, @WB2WIK. :rolleyes:

6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem is that "truth" is not an absolute. What one person considers "truth" another may not consider to be true. As such, "truth" can be, in many situations, really be opinion.

In other situations, "truth" can be an approximation. For example, when I say the floor, in my den, is "flat". Not really, it appears "flat" but, the truth be known, there are actually minute imperfections that mar the surface. Sure, these are not apparent, but those imperfections are there. As such, my statement is an approximation and is not really, technically, the situation.

Such may be considered, by many, to be nitpicking. However, the legal profession makes a VERY good living doing just that!

Glen, K9STH

W4ZD likes this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Really?

I sure don't think so.

It's a one-frame image of two people who are not politicians or elected to any office, with a three-word phrase.

W0AEW and WZ7U like this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Really?

What do you say to that? I see no politicians..... Some of you see boogeymen where none exist. o_O :rolleyes:

W0AEW likes this.
  9. W4ZD

Maybe I overreacted. But when someone posts a picture of Rudy Giuliani, who is, by the way, a politician, I reach certain conclusions. Sure, they could be wrong, no denying that. :)

As for "eye witnesses," do a little research. It's a 50-50 crap shoot as to whether or not their testimony is accurate. Doesn't stop attorneys and prosecutors from making use of them, though, and the average "jury of your peers" will frequently swallow it, like a hungry trout taking an artificial fly.

10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I get that. But RG is a past tense politician, IIRC he is now a lawyer or legal counsel. Not that that is any better....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.