ad: Schulman-1

Why are people limiting themselves to selling to Continental U.S. only?

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KH6NLU, Sep 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

And just what evidence do you have to state the conclusion in the second sentence from your statement in the first statement.

Maybe, just maybe, the person that wants to ship only to CONUS has a reason that you have no clue about. But instead of thinking about it or investigating the reasons you just basically are calling those that say CONUS are just stupid!:eek:

Here is a quote that I have in my collection of quotes that I like>>>>>>>>>>>
    broad brush.jpg

I have had some bad experiences shipping with USPS.
    I am really nervous when I take a package to USPS to be shipped. Even if it is just someone in my same state. While this maybe is a stupid fear to have but I just feel more fear shipping something that has to go as far as Hawaii or Alaska. So depending on the value and how fragile the item is I may or may not be willing to ship to those states. Have you ever sat on an airplane and looked out the window and watched how some of the guys (and I am not painting those guys with a broad brush as I am sure there are more that care than those that don't) throw boxes from the cart to the plane cargo door or to the conveyor belt?

That is just one example from me. And that does not mean I am too stupid to pack a box correctly for shipping. But if you want, because of my fear, to call me stupid you are not going to hurt my feelings.

So this is just my opinion on this.

John, WB0MPB

2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A lot of folks don't realize that their USPS Priority AND Express mail is/has been carried by FedEx for years (including to AK. & HI)

https://about.van.fedex.com/newsroo...tation-contract-united-states-postal-service/

A possible reason some only want to ship to the "Lower 48", could be due to a misunderstanding in the wording of a USPS disclaimer that states to wit: "Delivery time for PRIORITY Mail is 1-2 days (except AL & HI)" - This doesn't mean that the USPS doesn't ship to AK. & HI.,... it means that the delivery time is not necessarily 1-2 days due to the distance & logistics. (It IS a bit misleading)

(retired USPS employee)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    N0TZU likes this.
  3. W5BIB

Correct to read: (except AK & HI)

4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    Alaska - so large that it runs from San Diego Ca to Jacksonville FL.

Too big to ignore by now.

More on topic, I just sent a PMO for $200 to a guy not afraid to ship to Alaska.

Don't limit yourself - see the Big Picture!

W5BIB likes this.
  5. KH6NLU

KH6NLU Ham Member QRZ Page

Even when HAM radios were first starting around 1920, Hawaii, although a territory of the United States, was as an overseas destination a DX. My Great Grand Uncle Wah Chan Chock, 6ASR, was the first in Hawaii to be licensed by the Department of Commerce in 1920, to run an amateur radio station, his 500 Watt Transceiver was housed in his radio shack on Beretania Street in Honolulu.

W1TRY and K1XS like this.
  6. KH6NLU

KH6NLU Ham Member QRZ Page

I just received two packages from Arizona in three days, despite the fact that the Post Office estimated 4 days.

W5BIB likes this.
  7. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was wanting to buy an MFJ Cub for 40m off of Ebay. I waited until the last 10 mins to bid. Found out they won't ship to me at HL1ZIX in Korea (usually it used to alert me to this beforehand, but it didn't until I attempted a bid). The radio ended up going for about $53. I would have bid it up to at least $75.

8. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

Easy solution to this problem. Just ask the seller to reconsider, and offer to pay the difference (if any).

One valid reason for not shipping to some overseas countries (think Nigeria) is that there are no legal recourse options in case of a problem.

AK and HI, however, need to be pounded into people's heads as being a part of the USA and Flat-Rate Eligible.

KP4SX and N0TZU like this.
  9. W5BIB

...as is; ANY U.S. Possession/Territory including APO, FPO & DPO addresses.

Territories have always been a part of the U.S.[11] According to federal law, the term "United States", when used in a geographical sense, means "the Continental United States, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the United States Virgin Islands".[12] Since political union with the Northern Mariana Islands in 1986, they too are treated as a part of the U.S.[12] An executive order adopted in 2007 includes American Samoa in the U.S. "geographical extent" as reflected in U.S. Department of State documents.[13]

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/how-much-postage-is-required-for-apo-fpo-mail-3356995

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    KP4SX likes this.
  10. WA7ARZ

WA7ARZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Try fitting a Yaesu FT-101B into the flat rate box.......
    Look Up 60 lbs 18x24x24 from Chicago to Omaha
    Then Look Up from Chicago to Anchorage.
    Now you will see why sellers have 'CONUS Only'
    Also, there aren't 2 million hams in Hawaii and Alaska, much less the entire USA.
    And first class mail is limited to less than a pound. Not a lot of ham gear weighs less than a pound.