ad: Schulman-1

Why are people limiting themselves to selling to Continental U.S. only?

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KH6NLU, Sep 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. KH6NLU

KH6NLU Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're using USPS Priority or First Class Mail - shipping to HI and AK is totally fine. ... There is no reason to limit shipping to the 48 contiguous states. It costs no more to ship to Hawaii, or Alaska, APO/FPO, or US territories and protectorates. In fact, if your item fits into one of the USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail Boxes, you can send anything that fits into it for $13.65 which gets all the way to a mailbox in Hawaii within 3-4 days.. Put CONUS Only on your ad and you lose over 2 million customers just in Hawaii and Alaska for nothing.

W5FJG likes this.
  2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

USPS International Priority is a pretty good deal also ! I shipped a Drake MN-2000 antenna tuner to Australia
    for $123.00. I took it to a UPS store & they boxed it up for $26.00.

It left Mobile, Ala. on a Tuesday night, arriving in Sydney on Saturday morning (4 days) !! It was going to Darwin NT & it took 9 days to go from Sydney to Darwin ! (it must've traveled by one of those mile long "truck-trains!):p

The guy in Darwin said that that was typical for Australia postal service to the North Territory (NT).

He said "NT" stands for: Not today, Not tomorrow, Not Tuesday, & Not Thursday ! :rolleyes::D

It made the trip in excellent condition for $123.00 which included tracking & $300.00 insurance.

UPS & FEDEX both wanted over $450.00 to ship it !!:eek: USPS got it done for $123.00 :) (The customs paperwork took about 5 minutes)

AA7BQ, KP4SX and WN1MB like this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

They may be worried that the slow boat may sink.

Or a boat anchor radio will really be used as such.

AA7BQ likes this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There was a thread on this a while back. As I recall the general consensus was that people are simply used to putting that restriction in their ads from the days before flat rate shipping.

KP4SX, K7MH, W5BIB and 1 other person like this.
  5. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone who is that clueless about shipping is not someone I would want to buy anything the least bit fragile from. They probably don't know how to package things either and only rarely ship anything at all.

There is an ad in the swapmeet section that say will ship the item CONUS Priority Mail but will ship to AK and HI for an additional $20. It seems that some cannot figure out what the actual shipping costs are on the USPS website it is all very straightforward and easy.
    If you buy the postage online, the customs form (if needed) is filled out and printed right there for you. And NO LINES to wait in!! Just walk up and plop it down with the other packages and leave. You can't beat THAT!! Especially around Christmas time!!
    For that matter you can schedule your mail carrier to pick up the Priority Mail package from your house! You don't even have to go to the post office!
    Ya gotta feel sorry for the clueless people!

W5BIB and N0TZU like this.
  6. KH6NLU

Some people think that Alaska and Hawaii are overseas in some other distance country. News for you all on the Mainland U.S., Alaska and Hawaii are are 49th and 50th states of the Union. Thats why we have 50 stars on our flag and because of that, the Post Office cannot charge International rates here. If you have a huge package, I could see charging extra, but if you can fit it into one of those large flat rate boxes that they give you free at the Post Office, the charge for shipping within 4 days should be less than $20 plus insurance no matter the weight. BTW, I just sent a package from Honolulu to Arizona on Monday which should arrive tomorrow for less than $20 which included tracking and $500 insurance.

W9AFB and W5BIB like this.
  7. KH6NLU

If you send it first class or priority flat rate, it travels by plane rather than boat.

KA2FIR likes this.
  8. KH6NLU

FYI, AK and HI have been states of the Union since 1959, 50 years now. No custom forms needed. Just like mailing something from NYC to LA.

NL7W and KA2FIR like this.
  9. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if some hams are thinking more of the DXCC "countries" list than anything else?:rolleyes:

10. N6OIL

N6OIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, but will you ship to New Mexico? You would be surprised at how many people don't know that NM is one of the fifty states! And yes the water is safe to drink!

N1VAU, AC0OB and N0TZU like this.