ad: wmr-1

Why are only 10 percent of American radio amateurs uploading his log for confirmation?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by R7RBE, Apr 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a paper log.

K2MMO, KC1NY, AD5HR and 5 others like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I log all new HF contacts
    but not daily contact with old friends

QRZ

K6LPM and VK6APZ like this.
  3. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

68,342 LoTW users in the USA
    778,973 Licensed Amateurs in the USA

The percentage of American hams using LoTW is let's just say 8.7% (8.773684338905415%).

But the OP mentioned eQSL and QRZ log, so his 10% figure may be accurate. I use all three and LoTW produces the most confirmations for me, which of course carry over to QRZ log. I only use eQSL as a courtesy to others.

Sources
    http://www.hb9bza.net/lotw-users-list
    http://www.arrl.org/fcc-license-counts

4. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 109,406 QSO records on LoTW and 59,914 have been confirmed to date. That's an LoTW confirmation rate of almost 55%. I consider that pretty amazing since it includes 26 years of contacts before LoTW even existed.

I fear that as time marches on higher percentages of hams will no longer value confirmations and the operating achievement awards that can be obtained with the confirmations. Combine that with the fact that ham radio existed for about 100 years a QSL card was the only confirmation method. Now there are at least two other methods (QRZ and eQSL) dividing or distracting the attention of newer hams that didn't have a pre-existing investment in ARRL awards or collecting QSL cards before QRZ and eQSL came along. It doesn't help matters when complaints are posted decrying the difficulty some hams have in using LoTW. Those how have never started could be discouraged from even trying after reading some of the complaints posted on the Zed. Those who complain about LoTW need to remember what it was like to have to QSL either direct or via the bureau.

I have used LoTW every way it can be used; independently; together with QSL submissions to ARRL; Using DXCC On-ling with LoTW and having paper cards check by an ARRL card checker. Of every possible way to confirm contacts for ARRL or CQ awards, nothing is easier, faster, more cost effective and secure than LoTW.

For those who have spent years working on your DXCC totals, or perhaps 5 band DXCC or multi mode DXCC it must be frustrating to think that some potential needed confirmations that might be possible won't happen because needed entities you have worked only QSL with one of the other available methods.

5. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just did a quick check on LoTW. 80% QSL rate.

VK6APZ and K8BZ like this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow!

7. KJ4ND

KJ4ND XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had wondered about this myself , and last year I did a little "test" , and measured the rate of response to 150
    of my consecutive contacts that were in my log for at least 1 month , and what percent were not in LOTW.
    It was at least 40 %.
    So it is significant, and obviously, these are the active hams , since they are making contacts, and a few I looked at random
    were very active with a number of awards, but did not participate in LOTW. It makes one wonder how some of them got those
    awards.
    Anyway , it means if you may have to work that "rare one " 2-3 times to get it in LOTW.
    Just what I've seen.

8. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What's kind of interesting is that about 6 months ago it was a bit lower. In the lower 70's percentage. But also in the past 5 months I've spent most of my time on 6m - 15m and a few contests. So I don't know whether people are confirming at higher rates overall or just the areas I've been working. Hmmm. May want to crunch some numbers and get a comparison between bands and dates. Project #3,249 on the list of things to do...

I've also noticed that there is a material percentage of people who only upload once a month or so. If I were to only look at QSOs for the last 30 days the percentage would be lower.

9. KP4SX

I understand. I have 283 worked and all confirmed with real cards. I only have 272 confirmed in LoTW.
    I haven't actually parsed the missing ones to find out which countries they are but it suffice to says that LoTW alone is not the best answer.

10. KP4SX

Where did the Edit button go in this Forum?