ad: MyersEng-1

Why are only 10 percent of American radio amateurs uploading his log for confirmation?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by R7RBE, Apr 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. R7RBE

R7RBE Ham Member QRZ Page

Why are only 10 percent of American radio amateurs uploading his log for confirmation? I worked with a lot of radio amateurs and only a part of them uploaded a log to qrz.com, and a part to lotw and eqsl. And what about the rest? is it really that hard? Moreover, it floods mainly the east coast, the west and the center very rarely. Hawaii doesn't load the log at all. Is there no Internet or do we live in the 19th century? de R7RBE Viktor Murygin

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Only a small percentage of US hams are actually active.

N3AWS, KQ0J and W4HWD like this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't load logs because they make me sneeze.

[​IMG]

SA6CKE, WA8FOZ, K4PIH and 2 others like this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not too sure about your numbers. Where did you get them? Do you mean on 10% of your contacts QSL, OM? That is quite a different proposition.

Why don't all hams QSL? All hams have NEVER done so. And guess what....more do now on LOTW than years ago with paper and the freaking BURO.

That goes for hams all over the world...with the exception of the few who've made a business out of it. Oh, they'll QSL, but not until they have the green stamps. :D

N3AWS and WG7X like this.
  5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

You may not realize that there is no requirement to maintain a log here in the US. I have no idea what percentage of the active ham radio population here maintains a log. It would be an interesting statistic but not sure how one might get an accurate accounting.

K0UO, W4KYR and WD4IGX like this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe what he means is "confirm via LOTW" moreso than just keeping a log. ;)

N3AWS likes this.
  7. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

I might write down a contact if it's special or noteworthy, (like my first PSK31 contact last year). Otherwise I don't really bother with maintaining a log anymore. I'm not into contesting or any of that, so there is no real need. Besides EM79PB Kentucky isn't exactly some rare grid or anything special that someone needs . However I still have my log book from 1992/1993 somewhere around here.

K2MMO, N8TGQ, AE8W and 1 other person like this.
  8. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Aside from maintaining a log and uploading logs being strictly personal choices, one "problem" is that there are a number of different "logs" to upload to, there is no one global-standard place to upload logs.

Many use LoTW for awards or courtesy or other reasons. By comparison, QRZ and eQSL and some others are used by relatively few licensed hams. And while some accept log transfers from other places, others do not. And "validation" requirements vary from one to another.

You would think that after so many years of having computers involved in ham radio we would have figured out how to make a global-standard place to upload logs to. At least we have ADIF and Cabrillo. And hope that whoever places information in the ADIF file does so correctly. And hope that the on-line logging "place" processes those ADIF files correctly ( which is not generally the case, especially for mobile and portable operation ).

Bottom line is that human nature is involved, so all bets are off.

K0UO likes this.
  9. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

A.QSL VIA BURO CONFUSES CITY SLICKER.gif
    QSL VIA BURO CONFUSES CITY SLICKER

N1EN and K0UO like this.
  10. W1VKE

W1VKE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I keep a log, because I like to keep track of the details for myself. I use MacLoggerDX which automatically uploads to QRZ, eQSL and LOTW. I upload so that the people I QSO with, who are chasing awards and need my confirmation can get it. It takes no extra effort on my part. I realize that a lot of people are into awards and I like to help out if I can.

I would like to Work All States and I am also very interested in chasing grid squares (I work QRP so DX is a pipe dream right now), but I don't concern myself with an award or a certificate which takes away any stress or pressure if I don't get a confirmation. I just have fun. I know the grid squares that I work or the states are valid to me regardless if the person "confirms" or not.

I also enjoy sending and receiving QSL cards. I enjoy history and believe in traditions. I always send a QSL card to anyone that sends one to me. Sometimes I don't get cards back from people I send to and that's ok. I just want to enjoy myself and have fun. I set personal goals for myself where I try to minimize having to rely on other people to get me the information I need.

I look forward to working you in the future. If we do work each other and you need me to confirm a certain way in which I don't currently, just let me know and I will do my best to accommodate.

MW0IHW, N3AWS, K3BOA and 7 others like this.