Why are Hams selling their Soul to HOAs?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W9RAC, Feb 12, 2020 at 12:35 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2HUN

N2HUN Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked 15 years as a public health investigator for our county, and dealt with many complaints from neighbors vs neighbors, mostly about accumulation of junk on property. Also had to deal with folks not comfortable with smells and noises from farmers who were there long before newcomers. Some properties were regulated by HOA's, some by township/municipal ordinances. Many had right-to-farm laws.

One of the memorable ones was from a homeowner complaining that their neighbor's manure pile (from horses) would devalue their home by 15%. When I asked them how they arrived at that figure, they stated it was from a real estate agent.

The other amusing investigation was a neighbor complaining that the horse farm next door was attracting flies which were defecating on the complainant's house. Upon inspection I saw many tiny black dots on his house and car which he stated was "fly dung". Being an experienced homeowner myself and knowing something about the bowel habits of flies, it was a case of shotgun fungus shooting their spores randomly at bright objects. Flies weren't the culprits. I showed him the fungus colonies growing in the mulch around his foundation, which is common, and told him to rake it periodically to prevent this from happening. Ironically this guy was a landscaper!

Sorry to get tangential, but it's best to always have a lawyer when closing on a house and check your municipality/county/city/ whatever for any rules and regs that might affect you ham or other hobbies.

W9RAC, N2EY and WA7PRC like this.
  2. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You mean the extra $$$$$$$ needed to maintain BOTH properties .:eek:

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not just money!

Even if one has plenty of cash to spend on a second place, there's a whole bunch of stuff that has to be done. Upkeep, insurance, security, taxes, records, travel time, and more. Just the time can be a big issue.

4. N2EY

No, you're paying for the costs of services provided by the county and/or municipality. Things like roads....

Is there anywhere in the USA where one can own a home and there are no property taxes?

5. W2AI

The NYSDOT can do a better job in filling the numerous potholes on State Route 32 in Orange and Ulster Counties.

6. W2AI

Good response, Jim!

N2EY likes this.
  7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ahhh.. but when dealing with services you pay for other than the local taxing organization all they can do is put a lien against your property. A taxing organization can actually sell your property out from underneath you. Government has rights above and beyond normal businesses. In essence they own your property!

8. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

An Indian Reservation.

9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Those who feel that Government should be responsible for them ought to consider the plight of the American Indian.

As long as the sky is blue and the grass is green!

W2AAT likes this.
  10. N2EY

Good point!

Anywhere else?