Why are Hams selling their Soul to HOAs?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W9RAC, Feb 12, 2020 at 12:35 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You know, unfortunately, sad to say, that's not really a joke any more.

The only major mistake that George Orwell made, when writing 1984? He was a little early on the year; allegedly, since he wrote it in 1948, he simply transposed the last two digits to come up with the 'future' year. But outside of that, his predictions are prescient... and more than a little scary...

AD5HR likes this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes! But there's more.....

It is mentioned somewhere in the book that Winston Smith isn't even sure it really is 1984. He can't prove that it actually is that year, because all records are subject to revision by the Ministry of Truth.

In the book, all books, newspapers, films, magazines, etc., are under the control of the Ministry of Truth - and are constantly being revised, and only the official approved version of things is allowed to exist.

For example, suppose that in 1982 The Party predicted that steel production would rise by 10 million tons from 1983 to 1984. But, in reality, the rise in production was only 2 million tons. The Ministry of Truth would simply revise all the 1982 records to show the prediction as an increase of 2 million tons, not 10 million tons, and there would be congratulations all around and confirmation that The Party was running things perfectly. If anyone tried to prove that the prediction was actually 10 million tons, they'd not find any official records anywhere that would confirm it. If someone tried to keep their own records, they'd either quietly disappear for doing so, or would not be believed because there was no confirmation.

Everyone's activity was constantly available for monitoring via the telescreen. No one knew if they were actually being monitored, so everyone learned to behave in such ways as to not arouse suspicion if they were monitored.

Something similar is being done today.

1 person likes this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Attempted. Not perfected.

Thank God

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We didn't need no stinking DEC police when I was a child!

Oh yeah...we got them signs in Denver too. Only the street cleaning shows up quarterly...if they are lucky. :D But I don't notice any dirt building up...unless you are in Capitol Hill after a 4/20 celebration or other Peoples event.
    You must pay higher taxes than Denver property owners.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

We have a property tax which begins at 1% of purchase price when you buy property but can then increase each year after purchase; a 9.5% sales tax (on everything except raw, uncooked food); and an income tax which varies with income but can be 12.3%.:)

6. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I dont need no stinkin HOA Im gettin outa here
    20181002_173829.jpg

7. WD0BCT

Sounds like your taxes are in line with NYS. And either the tax rate increases or your assessed valuation increases every year. The first year we moved out of NYS I was amazed how low taxes were in other states. But then we don't get those cute little "street cleaning" signs. Dang.

Last time we were in California was a weekend in San Francisco...in the midst of a transit workers strike. We got thrown off of a trolly quite a ways from our hotel. The trolley operator maintained good tourist relations by informing us "we were on our own" when we asked for assistance finding alternative transportation. But that was before the arrival of Lyft or Uber. I'm sure he meant us no ill will. Neither did the street people who hurled insults at us as we walked back to our hotel. We placed San Francisco on the top of our resort list after that. Our last resort list. Just above NYC.

W4IOA likes this.
  8. WB2WIK

Here in CA, the valuation can only change when a property is sold, then the buyer gets the new valuation and his taxes are based on that. But if you don't sell, your valuation remains whatever it was when you purchased the property. That's what "Prop. 13" is all about. Taxes can increase each year, but there's a ceiling on that and it's pretty low and mostly based on what voters actually approve at the polls to fund new schools or whatever.

Re: NYS, yeah another high-tax state. But we have better weather. Way better and a lot more beaches (and they're all free). Higher mountains, lower valleys, a lot more farmland, better skiing, way better surfing, and infinitely more National Parks (8) -- I believe NY has zero.:p

I like NY, though -- but mostly "the city," not much outside the city. If not for the WX, I'd probably still be living there.:)

9. WD0BCT

We are totally different. I grew up in Buffalo and my wife in the Fingerlakes. We still enjoy upstate NY (in the summer months!).
    I actually enjoyed the smaller ski resorts in NY over the Tourist attracting monsters in Colorado where the lift lines start on I-70W. But neither of us skiis anymore.
    Fishing and upland game hunting was much better than Colorado, but I don't hunt or fish anymore. I was never into Big Game hunting.

Retirement in Colorado is fine. We both like changes in season. Considered AZ but spending some time in Tucson and Phoenix in the summer broke us of that idea quickly. We thought getting a taste of the summer weather was a good idea before investing in property. Also considered two homes (CO and AZ) but after talking to folks who were doing that we decided against it. Logistics of maintaining two properties did not appeal to us,

10. WB2WIK

Understood.

Different strokes, for sure.

I had a great girlfriend in Buffalo, an absolutely drop-dead gorgeous gal of Polish descent. Never forget her. She's the one who introduced me to "Buffalo hot wings" for the very first time, at the Anchor Bar. Hadn't heard of those before. They're good.

So, I spent a lot of time in the Buffalo area for a couple of years. Horrendous in winter, pretty nice in summer. I once got "snowed in" in Buffalo (having driven there) and spent an extra two days I hadn't planned to spend...screwed up my work schedule big time, but that's upstate NY.

Used to spend a great deal of time in Syracuse and Utica (due to contracts with G.E.) and also the Albany-Schenectady area, where I had another girlfriend (different year) who was a receptionist at KAPL -- Knolls Atomic Power Lab (part of G.E.) in Schenectady. She was of Armenian descent (!) and also very striking. I've actually seen her not long ago, as she's now in Poughkeepsie and I was back there for business. Jane Chakurmanian, holy cow I remember her name.

Spent way too much time in the Southern Tier (Binghamton, Owego, Elmira) because of IBM, they had a lot of facilities there.

So I feel I know upstate pretty well. I wouldn't live there on a large bet, but there are some beautiful areas.

Used to ski the Adirondaks a long time ago (70s), and it wasn't bad, similar to Vermont...but Mammoth Mountain in CA is so far superior it's hard to explain. A guy named Dave McCoy established Mammoth a very long time ago and I'm really glad he did. Half the runs there (hundreds of them) are named after Dave. Lift lines are never more than 5-10 mins max, but then there's an awful lot of lifts. Dave actually built the first several himself, he was quite a mechanical engineer who loved to ski. I've read all the stories about him, how everyone and every bank said making an ancient volcano into a successful ski area was absolutely impossible. One of their reasons was, "It's too snowy!" He did it anyway and Mammoth is now usually ranked in the "top 5" best ski areas in the country.

Having experienced everything from Thousand Lakes to Jamestown to Long Island for many years, I'd still prefer living in the city. It has everything. And even most of the old apartment buildings do not have antenna restrictions! Imagine that.:)

W2AI likes this.