Why are Hams selling their Soul to HOAs?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W9RAC, Feb 12, 2020 at 12:35 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

#1 Lack of availability of new homes in Non HOA developments.

#2 XYL's nuff said + see #1

I live in Sun City Center, FL - a Del Webb 55+ development, ol Del was a Ham himself. I am in a non HOA part of the development
    the rules here vary by ' Neighborhood' and HOA. We have seen some positive turning recently and HOA's allowing limited antennas such
    as a HF trap vertical etc. Our clubs work constantly to build a positive relationship with the community and boards. One of the best
    ways to change things is for Hams to get elected to board positions.

WX7P likes this.
  2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I recall the fall days of my childhood when burning leaves in our upstate NY city left a pleasant smell in the neighborhood. Of course our neighborhood also had the smells of coke plants and steel mills. So burning leaves were an improvement! :D

I recall the day they converted the mills to BOF. We woke up that morning to an iron oxide dust all over. Within a few months electrostatic precipitators were installed. Of course today we purchase the bulk of our steel from over seas plants w/o any air standards. That's called "internationalization". Looks awful familiar to exploitation...but as long as we don't inhale the crap it's hunky dory.

Exploiting slaves is bad....bad....baaaad!
    Exploiting other people is OK .

Unfortunately our businesses appear to based on exploiting somebody. Just try not to be that somebody! ;)

WX7P likes this.
  3. WD0BCT

Ain't that the truth! Fall behind on your taxes and your property will be taken from you.

4. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

my 4th grade son is learning about the American revolution - specifically, what lead up to it (Stamp Act, taxattion w/o representation), etc. . . so he says the other night "Since we won the revolutionary war and got our freedom, we don't have to pay taxes" - oh, how i laughed!

WD0BCT likes this.
  5. WD0BCT

Sounds like a government job! Do your streets get that dirty every week?

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't pay any tax on tea.:)

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, they do.

I've never lived anywhere there wasn't municipal street cleaning, but then I've never lived "way out" in the country, anywhere.

What ends up in the streets is leaves; cut grass from mowing, edging and blowing (the gardeners try to bag it, but never get all of it); trash that falls to the street when the garbage is picked up (by huge trucks with mechanical devices that pick up the bin, raise it over the top of a truck, turn it upside down and dump it without anyone actually looking at any of that or caring if some spills out); dirt and dust that just blows around from the wind; dirt, dust, sand or whatever carried by vehicle tires; etc. After a week, there's definitely "stuff" for the big street sweepers to remove.

The big trucks look like this, and there's hundreds of them:
    upload_2020-2-13_11-42-48.jpeg upload_2020-2-13_11-43-23.jpeg upload_2020-2-13_11-43-33.jpeg

And the alternate side of the street parking regulation signs look like this:
    upload_2020-2-13_11-44-12.jpeg

We even have a free app anyone can download to their phone which tells you when street cleaning "holidays" are (on those, you can park on either side of the street all day and night) and when you need to move your car to be sure you don't get a ticket for being in the way of the street sweeping trucks:
    street cleaning.PNG

I like city life. It's expensive, but the city does a lot of stuff.

8. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You can't burn leaves in New York State . Otherwise, the DEC police will issue you a very costly citation. NYSDEC website states burning leaves pollute the air.:eek:

9. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Have they criminalized charcoal grills and wood-burning stoves yet?

10. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page