Why are Hams selling their Soul to HOAs?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W9RAC, Feb 12, 2020 at 12:35 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

So I get the part about the guy who lives in the addition or the like and later is attracted to amateur radio. He's in a predicament for sure with only a few viable options.
    Where I get confused is the active amateur moving into a HOA environment knowing he going to be restricted by it. Then proceeds to complain about HOAs.
    It's a hot topic for sure but really, if its windy out does one pee into the wind or does common sense dictate not to? Id sure like to know why a person would move into the HOA wishing to utilize its veil of protection yet expect exceptions regarding their desires. Be gentle in your effort to validate your position so we do not get locked. 73 Rich

K0UO likes this.
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not as bad as all that. FT8 ops don't have souls! :)

The Zed is a wonderful refuge on the internet where we can have serious discussions like this.

K4AGO, W4IOA, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  3. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Only one word for it, Entitlement mentality.

WW2PT, W9RAC, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  4. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, sometimes you don't have a choice but to live in a restricted community. A few years ago I relocated into northern Virginia, in the greater DC area. The cost of living there was significantly higher then where we were coming from. The only places we could afford were in HOA communities.... Yes, I was an active ham before moving there, but had to put ham radio on hold for a while.

Fast forward a couple of years, and we were able to relocate again back to our hometown. We found a really nice house at a good price. It wasn't in a restricted area, but was still compromised because of the topography of the land. My wire antennas work okay, but only in certain directions. Such is life.

NL7W, W9RAC and WG7X like this.
  5. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn’t get into amateur radio until about 20 years after I bought my home. I wanted trees because I like them. I had no idea the big elm, oak, hickory, and pines trees already there would one day be handy to support antennas. Yes, I have an HOA but they are reasonable and have let the few amateurs who asked permission to put up a small tower do so.

I also live in an older part of the subdivision that was built back in the late 70s early 80s. An era where most people still used TV antennas. The rule about antennas in my area is that it shouldn’t be able to be seen from the street. I have two HF antennas and a VHF UHF, they can’t be seen unless you come into my yard. Even then you would have to know where to look.

While I like and enjoy many aspects of amateur radio, building antennas is one, I don’t ever see myself wanting a tower so bad I would actually get permission to put one up. Then again I don’t take amateur radio as seriously and some do here on the ZED.

K4AGO and W9RAC like this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In my experience (I'm not in an HOA), most hams who live there really aren't complaining about it.

Some are.

A lot seem to like it.

There are HOAs that allow very visible outdoor antennas, and even towers. Sun City and Sun City West, AZ are like that and a lot of hams live there, have towers and beams and stuff, but it's still an HOA.

Locally to me there's a very exclusive town called Hidden Hills...about 6 miles from me. I can't afford to live there, most of the homes "start" at about $5 million. But the entire town is an HOA. And they allow antennas and towers, it's written right into their by-laws; one has to provide "plans" to the architectural board or whatever, but if the plans are sensible and meet the municipal guidelines for safety, everything is granted. Yep, in a multimillion-dollar neighborhood.

The HOA maintains the Olympic swimming pool they have, and the horse trails which are everywhere since many homeowners have horses, and some other "common use" land within the community, but butt out of interfering with what people want to do. It's pretty perfect, if you can afford it.:p

WA5VGO likes this.
  7. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

"PERMISSION " ?
    Who actually owns this home you claim to have " bought "?

K4AGO, WQ4G and K4KYV like this.
  8. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

Who cares? I don't see this as a "hot topic" or one to cause any confusion. I agree with WIK, the people in HOAs I know don't complain, they just adapt or knew the drill before they moved in.

I'm not sure where you got the idea this is some kind of rampant problem. In the off chance, there is a ham who is in an HOA who DOES complain about rules and regs, it's analogous to the person who buys a house next to an airport. You knew the airport was there when you bought the house. End of story.

K4AGO, WQ4G, NL7W and 2 others like this.
  9. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a house in a neighborhood that has covenants. Those covenants prohibit the creation of an HOA.

Did I sell my soul to covenants?

K4AGO and K6BTM like this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Are the nuns friendly?

Or maybe that's spelled a different way.:p

W0FS likes this.