Why are hams selling their Heathkit radios?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KR2C, Feb 5, 2020.

ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, dumpster rental and trash disposal is expen$ive these days!

2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, sorry, I'm just now on my lunch break, or I'd have seen that connection sooner.

Now, what I want to know, when is someone local going to decide to toss their old Hallicrafters gear out on the curb as worthless? I'd love to get my hands back on an HT 37, SX 111 & HT 41, with a side order of a TO Keyer to boot. I never get THAT lucky!

WQ4G and WD4IGX like this.
  3. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure. I needed money for a second home in 1999. Sold off several AT1s, VF1s, AC1s and a few CR1s.
    Kept the best CR1 and a nice Miller 595.
    Mike N3PM

WD3N likes this.
  4. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

A large amount of gain at the RF stage is not necessarily a good thing. Actually, the ideal amount of gain at that point should be just enough to overcome the mixer noise.

Darrell

WD4IGX and N2EY like this.
  5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL gets calls from survivors requesting assistance. There can be a big psychological burden associated with tossing stuff into dumpsters.

My wife gave away her valuables before passed--one of the very few silver linings of dying from ALS. You have enough time to put your affairs in order.

N2EY likes this.
  6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it's the Swedes that call that process " Dostadning "

Sorry to hear of your loss.

My family had to dispose of decades worth of Mom's 'stuff' when she passed, it wasn't easy.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  7. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Bottom line: 6BZ6 falls off a little at 28mHz in the few transceivers I owned. The 6BZ6 & 12BA6 RF tube in the National NCX-5 does not.

8. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The NCX-5 has two 12BE6 pentagrid mixers after the two RF stages. Pentagrid mixers are noisy as heck. The result is four stages with significant gain ahead of the crystal filter - which isn't an optimum design for best "dynamic range".

73 de Jim, N2EY

WD4IGX likes this.
  9. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

The 12BE6 has a crazy high noise figure. Using two of them compounds the problem. Also, high gain at the front end is an invitation to cross modulation issues.
    Darrell

N2EY and WD4IGX like this.
  10. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

If people are selling their Heathkits, that means other people are buying them, so whats the problem?
    Bill - K5MIL

VK6APZ, W0FS, AK5B and 5 others like this.