Why are hams selling their Heathkit radios?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KR2C, Feb 5, 2020.

ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Heathkit's were very desirable when I was coming up and thousands of hams wanted them. They sold thousands, and there are still a lot of them around but, new hams don't want them. Heathkit's, like other radios of that era require certain knowledge to tune the final, and to understand an analog dial. I think I know why new hams don't want them.

New hams don't have any of that knowledge, like troubleshooting and repair of electronic circuits. They buy dipole antennas, and radio equipment with digital readout that they tune only to even frequencies. Can't do that with an analog dial. And those tube finals? You have to know what resonance is, and it's really scary and difficult to measure SWR's and Watts with those things. Then there's stuff like bias current, and grid current, drive, and other really scary stuff that new radios do for you so you don't have to know anything to modulate them.

Sarcasm off.

W5CKK, KG5DRV, W1WWA and 11 others like this.
  2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nicely played :cool:

N9RVB likes this.
  3. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not aware of more Heathkits for sale now vs a few years ago. But, I would not own one. I prefer hardwired vs printed circuit boards and the transceiver tuning is slipping on some radios. If you want the best vintage transceiver look no further than the National NCX-5. Performance vs dollar spent it is unbeatable IMO. The receiver will outperform Drake with dual RF amps on receive. It is more compatible with 3-500Z pair in amps that require 100 watts vs the Drake 150-175 watts out.

4. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not surprising. The 7300 is the greatest HF transceiver ever, after all. Every HAM knows that! :cool:

NY4Q, K1OIK and N0TZU like this.
  5. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

[Interesting that no one has commented on this one yet...]

6. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Acid-core solder. Blobs. Malo.

AE8W likes this.
  7. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well,

Heathkits are delicious. They are really good crushed up in a McFlurry. Supply and demand: I demand a McFlurry with crushed up Heathkit, someone needs to supply it.

KI7HSB likes this.
  8. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Silly comment that makes no sense! :D - Heathkit left the building in 1992.
    "These radio's were the next biggest thing since ice cream" What statistics do you have to back this up?
    What "everyone" Statistics? Proof? Or just plain dreamer:rolleyes:
    "one for sale USED every single day" WOW! Is the end of the world coming soon :)

VK6APZ and K5EMG like this.
  9. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it is a wise idea for old hams to sell equipment they aren't using to downsize their estate so their survivors won't be burdened with getting rid of it.

VK6APZ, W0FS, W2AI and 4 others like this.
  10. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Heathens! :p

W1TRY, NL7W and K3XR like this.