Why are hams selling their Heathkit radios?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KR2C, Feb 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Incompetence at the other end

2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

If it is so important why don't you publish test data with the modern equipment you have access to?

N2EY likes this.
  3. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an unbuilt Heathkit receiver here that I just can't find the motivation to build it.
    I have too many other fun projects going on and more seem to keep slipping in ahead of it.

Lately I've been on a bit of an Audio kick and I'm having fun hunting out and listening to new music.

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What model is it?

There are people who would pay serious $$ for an unbuilt vintage Heathkit.

5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL method is not a standard that Im aware of, educate me if Im wrong. The frequencies are CHERRY PICKED since all products fall outside the filter passband.

I just picked up the 11/19 QST and no mention of IMD method is included in the FTDX-101D review is mentioned. I also noticed that at 50W out the IMD-3 goes up quite a bit resulting in an objectionable below -30dB using a real method of measuring.

The same issue tested the SPE 1.5K-FA SS amp. On 20M at 1500W it is a real IMD dog with only -24dB 3rd IMD. In tiny print they mention "below PEP typ" as if that means much of anything to readers. With a SDR radio capable of predistortion it does get better.

I looked at a few other issues and did not see any explanation of the 6dB difference explained as claimed below. Lack of the claimed Consistency?? Or something else.....?

6. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

N2EY likes this.
  7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Where do I claim that? Put up or shut up. The same goes for your "like" troll.

If someone wants to provide all the necessary equipment plus access to the same items tested in Newington I will be happy to do the testing. A salary commensurate with what I made before retiring must be included.

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that available as a regular book? AND that has only been readily available to the outside world for a few years AFTER CONSISTENT online complaining by myself and others.
    I note it is Revision N with most of the earlier being corrections

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020 at 8:53 PM
  9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Factoid: The ARRL has never published a standard for how they measure antenna length.

W1TRY, KJ4VTH and N2EY like this.
  10. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020 at 9:20 PM
    N2EY likes this.