Why are hams selling their Heathkit radios?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KR2C, Feb 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KR2C

KR2C Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

These radio's were the next biggest thing since ice cream. Everyone was chaffing at the bit to get one, or to see the review of it... Now I see more than one for sale USED every single day. What gives?!?

What has crashed the honeymoon party of the Heathkit??

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

There are no statistics I am aware of to prove the assertion, but let's assume it's accurate. Much of it may be a generational issue. I would suspect that many of the older generations of hams, who are well acquainted with Heathkit, sought to collect some of the gear they had in the past, or wish they had. Newer folks are not as familiar with Heathkit plus have an interest in other areas of the hobby.

With a significant number of older hams in the population, they may be looking to "thin the herd" for obvious reasons.

N9CAV and KB3FEI like this.
  3. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm a ham, and I'm not selling my Heathkits. So your assertion is fundamentally flawed. :p

N8ZL, VK6APZ, WD4IGX and 2 others like this.
  4. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ask the hams that are selling or have sold their Heathkit radios.
    Only they know the real answer....anyone else is just guessing.

Any hams out there that are selling or have sold your Heathkit radio...please tell us why .

5. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

No fishfinder on the front panel.

NG0L, WQ4G, WM4AA and 10 others like this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I want to do what Dave W7UUU did, when I get a bit more time.

He created new, never-sold Heathkit models by putting other stuff in Heath cabinets and behind Heath panels (or cabinets and panels that look just like Heath, anyway).

I'd like to build an SB-2020, in honor of our calendar year. I don't have a lot of spare time, so maybe just buy an IC-7300 and repackage it in a traditional Heath enclosure, paint the front panel Heath green and add white transfer lettering.:)

WA8FOZ, K6LPM, K1OIK and 1 other person like this.
  7. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

The owners died like the company, and the survivors cannot wait to get rid of ham junk.

W1WWA, WS4JM and NE1U like this.
  8. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The IC-7300 has ruined the used market. Didn't you hear?

N1VAU and NL7W like this.
  9. KG5THG

KG5THG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought a king conversions sb-221 for use with my 7300. Seems like a fine piece of equipment.

10. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

People are buying them to replace their Flex.

VK6APZ, F8WBD, KC9YGN and 9 others like this.