Why are Hams SELLING their Flex Radio(s)?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA4DPO, May 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Absurd. Billions of consumer/medical/military devices over the last 30 years using SMT's that are not failing because of tin hairs.

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ask them for the API. They did a redesign of the website so it may have been lost in the shuffle. Either way it’s there and the engineering team will be more than happy to point you in the
    right direction.

3. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

As they should. Nowhere on earth has an S0 noise floor and no receiver has S0 of internal noise.

4. KN6CLP

KN6CLP Ham Member QRZ Page

In the spirit of all the recent "why are there so many ____radios for sale?" threads, BUMP

5. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Got any more of that stuff you are smoking. If it is good as I think it is, is worth $2000 per pound. You could maybe and that is a BIG MAYBE have a valid point if the radios were made in Europe where lead has been banned in solder, but in Texas has no whacko enviro tree huggers running the state.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't get this one.

When the EU banned lead in almost everything many years ago, the rest of the world followed suit and all surface-mount components made by anyone are "RoHS compliant," which means they're lead-free. I don't know of anyone manufacturing anything in the U.S., Texas or otherwise, that doesn't follow the RoHS Directive and use all lead-free component attachments. The manufacturers of the solder preforms and solder pastes used with SMT machines are all lead-free and I doubt you can find anyone selling any containing lead.

N0TZU likes this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I disagree, but this needs clarification.

First, what "S0" represents can be whatever the designer or manufacturer wants it to be. My receivers indicate S0 if I disconnect the antennas.

That's a variable.

But what's not terribly variable is atmospheric noise, which of course is always there but drops from "several microvolts" captured by a typical antenna having, say a 0.16-WL^2 aperture like a 1/2-WL dipole on 160m down to perhaps 1uV or even less on 10m, without any lightning storm or CME influence. On VHF, and even more so on UHF or SHF, atmospheric noise captured even with a 20 dBi gain antenna, can be <<1uV.

8. KB1YAP

KB1YAP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i would believe they are using a commodore 64 to design a new apple pc.

K1OIK likes this.
  9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dernit...why do I fall prey to zombie threads again and again? :eek:

[​IMG]

KA4DPO likes this.
  10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh look, former Flex users who went brain dead from all of the frustration. :D

K1OIK and W7UUU like this.