Why are all the KEWL and Wiz-bang repeaters on 440?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K8XG, Jul 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, the Digital Voice modes that repeaters use are either 9600 baud data [Fusion, DMR,P25] or 4800 Baud D-Start; this is on VHF/UHF repeaters.
    In fact Fusion Voice Wide is really P25 with a different data header; all the protocols are published and others can make Fusion radios not just Yeasu. Only one Multi-Cast radio is currently made.

Now I recall something from long ago about 1200 baud simplex packet on VHF and 220/440 doing 4800/9600 baud packet. I think that was a technical issue back in the older 1980s packet days. [I started in packet as a tech in 1985, same year I upgraded my novice]

2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

You should have been here when I had a 6M repeater running.

And 23 and 33 cm repeaters. specialized users into lots of engineering experiments and I gave them some tower space.

All long gone as interest died.

The 2 m and 70 cm crowd wasnt wanted here:eek::p

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  3. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not dead or gone here, use has slowed some. But they still get used. They are very handy. If we lose power and Internet and cellphone these units keep on running. I can find someone night or day without ringing a phone. There are a couple that dont get used much anymore. My wife and I taken over one of those. We pretty much get left alone. I would think 440 everything would be smaller. And easier to deal with. Besides no more VHF pairs here.