ad: AbAuRe-1

Why are all the KEWL and Wiz-bang repeaters on 440?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K8XG, Jul 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I suggest it is because in many areas there are what we call GHOST repeaters on 2 meters. The local coordinating council granted owners of original 2 meter repeaters a pair; yet they have been off the air for 10-15-20 years and the council will not resend them.

Another tid bit I found out was the cost of 440 duplexers and the size are much easier on the back and pocket book. Next, most of the new repeaters are on Fusion or DMR or even P25 or NXDN, D-Star pretty much died on repeaters but is still alive on the HotSpots and in Florida.

Your Opinions Welcome.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Repeaters are so 1970s.

KD4MOJ likes this.
  3. K8XG

HA, in my day they were so 80s, 70's and early 80s was CB as I was a novice in 1980 but not a tech till 85.. the issues were all about raising a family and 5 years later I simply took the test I could pass as in 1980 I got a FCC Radio Telephone to repair radios...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    NL7W likes this.
  4. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Because in most areas VHF was the prevailing band over UHF at the time when DMR, Death-Star and C4FM hit the scene. Deep deals were being cut by Icom and Yaesu with clubs and trustees for repeater systems but they had to agree to them being on the air by X time. Instead of pulling utilized systems down, the under utilized UHF machines were replaced with new systems.

5. K8XG

But the VHF systems are still silent and 440 Fm, Fusion and DMR are lite up\

Edit; was just talking on a 440 fm repeater a few mins ago

NL7W likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here in So. Cal., the PAPA Network on 440 MHz is very popular.

It's not only heavily used, but "the group" hosts amateur radio exam classes/training, VE test sessions, and member breakfasts all over the place. I don't know how many members it has, but a lot. The owner pays site fees at some of the best mountaintop sites there are, usually co-los with several commercial systems so big towers and sheds with power (and often also emergency power) are already there.

K8XG likes this.
  7. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought it was because you can run wider modes on 440 than you can on 2m.

8. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends on how you define wiz/bang repeaters. Our county radio club homebrewed a 2 meter repeater in the mid 1970s with a Heath HW-202 PA board, VHF Engineering 1 watt transmitter board, receiver board, COR from 73 magazine and diode programmed CW-ID board - certainly not wiz/bang. Replaced the home-brewed hardware with commercial surplus receivers and transmitters and a Cat-1000 controller with recorded voice ID and auto-patch - long before cell phones. The receiver and transmitter were split site because we could not afford a duplexer. Then added coupled 440 hardware sharing the Cat -1000. We added an APRS system somewhere along the way. Then we took advantage of Yaesu's "marketing genius" offer for a club Fusion repeater. We finally acquire a VHF duplexer and moved the transmitters to the receiver site. A couple of years later we added Wires-X capability to Fusion. Wiz-bang? Maybe not, but the new hams are having a ball with Wires-X and we have a Fusion net every Thursday at 19:30 local time. Also an VHF/UHF FM analog net Tuesday at 21:00 hours with code practice on 10 meters preceding the net at 20:00. And a 10 meter net on Sundays at 20:30. The club is now experimenting with an AREDN network. Wiz-bang? I'm not sure but it is interesting.
    It has been a fun ride.

Bob

KA4FOX and K8XG like this.
  9. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

need more 900mhz repeaters.

10. K8XG

Our 900 and 1.2 repeater are very dead. Yes if I give a shout on the 900 the only guy that monitors it all day/waking night will come back to me but that is about it. Same guy will also come back to me on the 220 that is mostly dead, mostly...

Meanwhile 440 Wires-X has been non-stop most of the morning as well as 2 FM 440 repeaters, and the one 2meter repeater that is linked to that 440.