Why Am I Getting Confirmation Notices?

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by KS2G, Mar 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not a QRZ Logbook user.
    I have not uploaded any logs to the QRZ logbook.
    Why am I receiving PM's saying I've received confirmations and why are those QSOs/confirmations showing up in the logbook?

Mel - KS2G

2. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This is the result of the migration into your Version 2 Logbook of the QSO records that existed in your Version 1 QRZ Logbook.

In the case if version 1, when a worked party entered a record of a QSO with KS2G it was automatically placed on your logbook; that is no longer possible in version 2. In version 2, only those records you specifically enter can be recorded into it.

While it is likely that the records are those of QSOs with you, nevertheless you can delete all of them as follows:

Open your logbook
    Find the box at the end of the top row to the right of Comments and a gold star.
    Click on that box and a checkmark should appear in the right hand boxes of all the records.
    Scroll down to the end of the page and click on the ACTION button
    Select Delete Records.

Repeat this for each remaining page of records.

You can also suppress the receipt of confirmation notices as follows:
    Click on My Account (beneath My Logbook) on the pop up menu at your roght hand callsign
    Scroll down to Logbook Options and disable as desired
    Save Logbook Options

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This doesn't explain why I'm getting confirmations when I've never used version 1. Just got a confirmation from a 1978 QSO.

4. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Using V2, other than the QSO records migrated into your logbook, the only QSO records that can appear in your logbook are the records that you enter, either manually or by ADIF upload.

The V2 Logbook has an automatic system to confirm QSOs. The system looks for agreement of callsigns, band, mode and UTC date/time within a 30 minute window and, if it finds a set of records that agree, it marks both with a confirmation star. If a matching record is not found then the QSO will remain unconfirmed until the worked party enters a match in its log.

Your logbook settings show a start date of 3-27-1978 and an end date of 7/21/2017. If you have not held the call over this period then perhaps another KL7AJ had it for a portion of the range and that party's QSO appears. In which case you, need to readjust the date range (more on that later).

You currently have a record in your logbook of a QSO made with SM5FQQ on 3-27-1978. SM5FQQ has a record in its logbook of a QSQ with KL7AJ with matching callsigns, band, mode and UTC date/time within 30 minutes. Hence both records have been automatically marked confirmed.

To change the date range of your logbook:
    Open your logbook
    Click on SETTINGS then PROPERTIES
    Adjust the date range to agree with your holding KL7AJ
    Save the adjustments

5. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

How would I have had any QSO records in the Version 1 QRZ Logbook?

As I said, I am not, and never have been, a QRZ Logbook user and I have never uploaded any QSO information into it.

6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

This is where I have a problem. I am in the same boat, I have never been a user of this system, yet I have "confirmations" happening. There are other parties who have confirmed QSO's from me that are invalid because I never validated them. Yet they are there. "...it was automatically placed on your logbook". How many QSL's are this way?

Where does this leave your actual users? What is confirmed? What about applying for awards? If the basic underlying authenticity is suspect, then the entire thing fails.

Thanks for supplying information on how to clean it up, but I (nor anyone else) should have to do this! Your Version 1 logbook appears to have corrupted Version 2 with bad, false data, and it's not up to the individual call-sign holders to clean it up - especially when we have no part in it!

If these records cannot be purged wholly from the back end, I don't know where that leaves the logbook at large.

Steve
    KV6O

7. N0AMT

N0AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

I see the confusion here.. Allow me to try to clear it up..

In Version 1, These records were either confirmed by you, or the previous owner of the callsign.

The record may or may not have appeared in your V1 logbook as a result of a bug, however the record was still legitimate (just not for you).

When you migrated your callsign over, we grabbed all QSOs for your callsign in our database. This means that sometimes we will pull QSOs that we have record of, for your callsign, before you were issued the callsign.

When you migrated, in bold text it said that you should adjust your logbook dates by clicking "Settings" then "Properties." If this was not done, the older QSOs still existed within your logbook.

All that needs to be done is delete the QSOs from your logbook, and update your logbook start date.

The other party is still entitled to their confirmation, even if it was with the previous callsign owner in V1 logbook.

So, as of right now, you have "credit" for a QSO that you never made, but that credit will still have to pass muster when the award analysis is completed.

RIGHT NOW: QRZ does not have effective dates for every single license, so we cannot delete QSOs from peoples logbooks based on that data without risking deleting some legitimate QSOs.

FUTURE: QRZ will likely require some form of verification of license data in order to receive an award for given callsign(s). (method for doing so not yet finalized.) In doing so, it will be easy to identify QSOs made outside of the effective dates for the given license, and prevent false credit.

So to summarize in less detail, this is fairly rare and requires quite a few things to come together:
    The QSO is determined to already be confirmed in V1 for the other party, so it is already legitimate, just does not belong in your logbook.
    When you came to V2, if we don't know your license start date we grab ALL QSOs we have for that callsign and move them over. In this case the record was previously confirmed.
    You presently have "false credit" but that "false credit" will either be cleaned up prior to implementation of awards, OR will not pass the awards analysis requirements and will be eliminated anyway. - this will be easy to catch/fix once we finalize the method we will use for validating the license.
    You can delete the QSOs and update your logbook start date to resolve this now.

8. N0AMT

N0AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Also FYI -- I'm currently looking at the FCC data to see if we can eliminate these automatically at least for the USA calls. This will depend on what data the FCC affords us..

Either way, the validity of awards will not be impacted, and you can delete them yourselves for immediate resolution.

9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm the original and only holder of that callsign. I have no idea where those entries came from.

Eric

10. W1DQ

Read posting #7 in this thread (above)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.