ad: AlphaRF-1

Why "AM Fans"?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by WB2CAU, Aug 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I actually have checked into some of the nets on or around 3870 over the years. I remember Joe Walsh WB6ACU used to have an enormous signal there when he was a semi-regular, but he didn't hold long transmissions. Just a big signal. Well, his shack location was very close to me when he had it set up in Studio City.:)

I even have a semi-dedicated AM/CW only station, a homebrew 4-250A modulated by P-P 811A's which I built back in about 1966 from a much older Handbook article, and although I never got its self-contained VFO to be stable enough for my liking, I use it with an old HA-5 VFO which is quite stable and still works fine. RX is a 75A-4 with the F455J-60 filter for AM. It all works, but I use it about 95% CW and very little on AM for the reasons stated. I don't mind "listening" when the conversation is interesting to me, but buzzard blasts about component-level work on old equipment isn't interesting to me.:p I'd much rather hear conversation about other hobbies and interests, family activities, work related stuff, politics, wine tasting, sports, or really almost anything.

I'm mostly CW these days, where rag chews on lots of subjects are the norm and can go on until the band fades out.

N6YW likes this.
  2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to work a lot more CW than I do now. I find CW ragchews hard to come by. With occasional exceptions, mostly rubber-stamp QSOs with standard format exchange of sig report, name, QTH, WX, rig, antenna, then it's TNX CUL 73 QRZ?.

N6YW likes this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I get that sometimes, too.

But there are lots of CW ragchews, I have them all the time.

I also recognize the calls of some guys who are "exclusively" rag chewers and don't want to work anyone who can't hold a conversation. Fil, DU2US is one of those guys. He hates short contacts but can hold a real rag chew until the band fades...he's also a great CW op.

But there are many.

N6YW likes this.