ad: M2Ant-1

Why "AM Fans"?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by WB2CAU, Aug 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I never break into anything if I have nothing to add.

But one reason I don't bother is the 10-min monologues discussing every detail of such matters, when it would be easier -- not to mention briefer -- for the QSO to go like this:

"Hey, I did some mods to my ABC transmitter to improve XYZ. Anyone want to hear about that?"
    <Silence means, no, not really>
    But a taker: "Sure, I do. Can you briefly tell me what you did and why you did it? Make this a break-in QSO so I can ask questions."
    "Okay, I changed R46 to 47K, R103 to 75K, C15 to .1 uF and C29 to .22 uF."
    "Great, what did that do -- briefly?"
    "You're hearing the result; the audio is crisper, rolls off below 300 Hz and above 3000 Hz and sounds nicer to me when I listen to it."
    "Cool!" Did you experience any downsides to this?"
    "Nope, it's been working fine for two weeks now and everyone seems to like it."
    "Great, thanks for letting me know."

That whole QSO could take place in 60 seconds and wouldn't bore any listeners to death.:)

This is more like actual conversation, like you'd have in person or on the telephone.

I don't know why being on the radio should make it different.

2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Love that Space Shuttle sound!

AG5CK likes this.
  3. WB2CAU

WB2CAU Ham Member QRZ Page

I know your text was just a simulation of what you believe to be a typical AM QSO to demonstrate a different point, but it's apparent from the details that you haven't been involved in the mode for quite some time if you believe AMers want their low end to roll off below 300 Hz and their highs to roll off above 3 KHz, at least here on the East Coast. That audio response is just a tiny shade better than SSB. AMers today prefer a much wider frequency response than yesteryear.

Why not join us on AM and hear what's going on today.

WA3VJB likes this.
  4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting point of view. But if a radio QSO were to faithfully simulate a face to face conversation, it would be in full duplex, with both station transmitters on all the time but on different frequencies. Wouldn't that give the spectrum conservation police something to do. All of a sudden a regular half-duplex QSO would seem trivial. But anyway, funny how perspectives differ. I have no problem sitting back and listening to a 10 minute monologue if the signal is good. Heck, I think that's not a particularly long xmission. Sometimes I prefer to just listen all evening. You need hot glass audio and some big speakers though.

5. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve found the Northeast ops to be quite frequency dynamic. An old buzzard transmission directed to a specific op (which is fine) often results in a spin-off QSO forming on an adjacent frequency. Same for those who find the topic(s) uninteresting. There’s also been an increase in off air “back-channel” comms to facilitate such moves or even to comment on the current topic.

6. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

There are all kinds on AM, just like any other mode.
    Many are getting old and tend to old buzzard at times.

Some transmitters don't do break in well, like broadcast transmitters.
    Some like listening for a while if its interesting, some people will spend 20 minutes talking about something at length, you can't help that but can move someplace else.

Sometimes I am working on something in the shack and its nice to listen to a nice interesting qso on AM, nothing comes close to a strong good sounding
    AM signal on a good rx/audio system.

WD4IGX likes this.
  7. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Broadcast transmitters do it just fine if the station T/R relay configuration is set up right. I sometimes work fast break-in on 160m with my Gates BC1-T, and it does it just as well as my homebrew transmitters. The same T/R switch is used with all rigs.

8. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And...

Slopbucket drools!

:D

WA3VJB likes this.
  10. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, Steve. I wish more people would keep this in mind.
    In your area of Los Angeles you should be within signal range of late afternoon AM QSOs around 3870. I often hear stations in the Pacific Time Zone well into the evening. Your QRZ.com page does not list any AM interest or participation, so you might not have been aware that there are people you could encounter on the mode.

It takes a certain motivation to listen to other people talking. There are folks who would rather do the talking, and you might be one of them. No wonder, then, that you become impatient if someone takes longer than you're willing to wait.

I have noticed, in my time on AM, that I've learned a lot and that it is very satisfying, on whole, when someone fully develops a train of thought that others then respond and contribute to. If that's not for you, then fine, keep moving.

WD4IGX likes this.