ad: w5yi

Why "AM Fans"?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by WB2CAU, Aug 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I was never crazy about that "fans" title either. I'd say go for it if we could come to a reasonable consensus for something better that wouldn't appear misleading or overly pretentious. More bluntly descriptive would be "AM Phone", but it's probably too similar to that other forum. Looking up synonyms for "enthusiast" on Dictionary.com, with the possible exception of aficionado (which might sound a little too pompous), "fan" sounds as good or better to me than the suggested alternatives.

Can anyone come up with something more appropriate?

2. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahem, why yes old man, I propose AM aficionados. H. I.

WD4IGX and N6YW like this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Why "AM Fans"?
    God bless 'im hope that is the most pressing concern in life.

WD4IGX and N6YW like this.
  4. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I like the comments so far.
    Keep them coming!

5. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Here are a few thoughts to chew on.

I've always liked "AM on HF" which touches on the continued heritage of shortwave.

Refering to the mode and activity as one module.

The AM Community, which recognizes a quantity of operators, not a novelty or minor pocket.

Among the most popular, distinctive, full-time voice communications.

Now, okay, I admit "distinctive" might be a stretch. Hear me out: I don't think there is anyone today who is on SSB for the sake of it being SSB. Sort of generic, like, "Oh yes, I use the internet because it's the internet." In other words, SSB does not have any distinction associated with it. Seems like there's a way of putting across the exceptional merit of AM as a popular aspect of the hobby. And the "full-time" reference is to get across it's not a weekend special event.

So, here's one idea, name this forum: AM on HF. A distinctive voice mode & activity. Might be too long (42) Right now, I count 50 characters & spaces available in the forum names.
    RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R

AM on HF. A distinctive voice mode.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  6. WB2CAU

WB2CAU Ham Member QRZ Page

If "Amplitude Modulation" is not descriptive enough or vague, how about a generic simplification like "AM Users Forum"? Simple and to the point without being pretentious or nondescript.

WA3VJB likes this.
  7. WA3VJB

I dunno, it's hard to pass up a chance for some salesmanship, within reason. AM Users doesn't grab me. I thought of USB Users.

N6YW likes this.
  8. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Since there have been recent discussions of SDR as applied to AM, as well as the restoration and designing of Vintage transmitters, hows about;

Amplitude Modulation: Vintage and Modern

Pheel

KC2ZFA, K4KYV and WA3VJB like this.
  9. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Tut, there is only one proper identification by which we should be known: AM cognoscenti

Anything else is so common and vulgar; help, I am feeling faint.

WD4IGX, AC0OB, N6YW and 1 other person like this.
  10. WA3VJB

Nah then people think we are exclusively AM for Italian Dog-Xray