Why "AM Fans"?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by WB2CAU, Aug 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2CAU

WB2CAU Ham Member QRZ Page

Please don’t get me wrong. I’m not trying to be a troll and I sincerely hope I don’t step on anyone’s toes here. I absolutely love this section on QRZ. I’m a died-in-the-wool AMer from way back. I would probably not have continued in this hobby had it not been for the mode. AM certainly deserves a place on QRZ and anyone can see that it is a thriving section on this site. There are multitudes of topics relating to the mode. And I thank not only Fred for allowing it, but also for the guys that persuaded Fred to set up a section for us a few years back.

But why is the term “AM Fans” in the section title? Am I the only one who feels the term is a bit out of place? According to Merriam-Webster online the word “fans” was a shortened form of “fanatic”. We are not fanatics! We are simply devotees of an available mode for a variety of reasons.

It almost seems as though early on someone considered us a small subset of the hobby (which obviously we are not) and the section would be a minimally used section.

Is it too late to drop the “AM Fans” part and just title it “Amplitude Modulation”? Is anybody with me on this, or am I just being petty?

W2WDX, WA3VJB and N6YW like this.
  2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Gotta say I'd go with the latter ;)

In contemporary usage I doubt many people think every baseball fan has to be a fanatic, just someone who enjoys the game. I'd have no trouble with someone calling me a CW fan because I enjoy operating in that mode but I sure don't view myself as a CW fanatic as it's one of many ways I use my ham privileges and yeah my mics still get plenty of use.

WD4IGX, AC0OB and N6YW like this.
  3. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

To be concise, the term was devised by the founder of QRZ when he and I agreed on making this forum a reality. I’d be for dropping the designation. Anyone else?

W3KHG and WB2CAU like this.
  4. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is too much tribalism today, so...

73DG

K1LKP, AC0OB and N6YW like this.
  5. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Eric, I get where you're coming from on this, as you can imagine. It bothers you more than me, but Billy, yes, I would support dropping the term as not useful.

Words have power. Just the other day I trotted out an old phrase that illustrates what we in the AM Community have been up against, in years past.
    20 years ago I caught heat for the phrase when I used it in public forums and in Comment filings with the FCC.
    Yet, it turns on its head the whole, misguided presumption that used to exist back in those days, one of "AM = bad, SSB = good."

The phrase? "...during SSB's struggle for acceptance."

It had the effect, back then, of putting the fans of that mode on the defensive, rather than AMers, as if there was something wrong with SSB that it needed to force its way into our hobbyist communications.

There have been other phrases posted on the QRZ.com AM Forum that the users unwittingly used out of habit, not realizing some of the subtle undercurrents they perpetuate against AM. I've called them out on it too, and they reacted with surprise that anyone could "interpret" what they said in that way, since no harm was intended. Nonetheless, Eric's posting has brought to light the value he and many others find to carefully worded presentations that support, rather than undercut, our part of the hobby.

Tnx for spending consideration on it.

WB2CAU likes this.
  6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Are y'all, or are y'all not, fans of AM operation?

Fan in common usage does not imply 'fanatic'.

It just means that you like it.

Yes, too picky.

AC0OB and KA0HCP like this.
  7. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Go for it dude.

8. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I never really liked "Angel Modulation". Sounded too pretentious to me in the first place.

9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fan, enthusiast, maven, AM-phile, AM'er. Nothing divisive in those adjectives. sigh.

K3XR likes this.
  10. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if there's some other way than "fans" of portraying this forum in a positive way. There might be something lost in just having "Amplitude Modulation" as the category, since it does not give the potential visitor anything to go on. Is it for people on AM? Is it regarding the declining AM broadcast band? Is it a complaint department (hahahha)?

So, yeah, I don't feel strongly about "fans," and I bet there's something even better we can use to characterise our discussions here.