Why all the theory on the higher level tests?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC2UYZ, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K5FH

K5FH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Much as I would like to argue that point, Sue, I couldn't do so in good conscience...because you're right. Amateur Radio is becoming what is euphemistically called a "magnificent anachronism." We can debate the why and the how but only as an academic exercise - it won't change where we're headed.

Sure was fun while it lasted, wasn't it? :(

2. KD0EAH

KD0EAH Ham Member QRZ Page

But.....

WHY.......:eek:

:rolleyes: Sorry, but that comment really strikes me funny. I like using my HT on low or mid power and seeing how many area repeaters I can hit 40-60 miles away when others at 10-15 miles are hitting the same repeater with 55W bases.

I hope to take and pass my General on Valentine's day. At work we were discussing Echolink and one of the co-workers came up and wanted to know why we just didn't pick up a cell phone and call em. Send em a text message or an email.

That mentality will lead to amateur radio demise as well.

I may never build a radio, but I do build my own antenna's. I took a year to work on learning a little bit more about how HAM works with 2M and what it has to offer.

I have also met some older operators that really almost turned me off to something that does interest me. It's also a connection with my dad who used to have a Class 2 commercial repairers license so many years ago.

Neither of my brothers sit down and talk about impedance matching with him or how to make that next interesting antenna.

Time to be that "new" ham again and sit back and read more.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  3. K4GTI

K4GTI Ham Member QRZ Page

me too....

Hey, I to am taking my test for General tomorrow. I have been a Ham since 1993 and an electronics tech/radio maintenance guy since 1983 and I still look at some of the questions like they are in a foreign language.....

Truthfully though, the hardest part is learning the Ham specific and FCC stuff.:eek:

John

4. NI7I

NI7I Guest

although that was a nice benefit of the "loosening" I'm fairly certain that that wasnt the goal of the FCC. They could care less about the shrinking HAM ranks. Matter of fact it would be of great benifit to them should we vanish. I really dont think the tech requirements are that difficult now nor were they when I took my test a few years back (over 25). Thing is, I dont think they should be any "looser". If all a fellow wants is to batt the breeze, he has the internet for that.. It's cheeper and easier.. Echo link and that sort of thing is for them.. Of course we should do what we can to encourage new hams and help those with an interest to get thier licensees,. I dont think lowering the standards will help much in that regard.

I just read a very fine post on another thread about a ham giving out flyers to VE's enviting new hams to spend time in his shack to experience HF.. When I finish putting my new shack together I plan on doing the same thing..

Lee
    NI7I

5. KE7VZW

KE7VZW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen plenty of people use the nick av8r as shorthand for aviator. He's not trolling. Good grief.

6. WR5AW

WR5AW Ham Member QRZ Page

I just want to thank all the gloom and doom advocats for stepping aside. More bandwidth for the rest of us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.