Why all the theory on the higher level tests?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC2UYZ, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The First and Second Radiotelephone Operator's Licenses have been replaced by the General Radiotelephone Operators License (GROL) and that license definitely is still available. Remember, even though the FCC eliminated the need for a license to work on broadcast and commercial two-way radio transmitters, a license is still required, under International treaties, to work on transmitters in the aviation and marine radio services.

Just like amateur radio licenses the GROL is now being tested by outside firms. From what I understand the charges are between $75 and $100 depending on just what organization is administering the test. However, since I took my commercial examinations before the FCC at the Chicago office in August 1962 I do not have any "recent" experience with the examination process.

Glen, K9STH

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Glen that is good to know.

Right now survival is at the top of the list of things that need my attention.

3. KC2UYZ

KC2UYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand. I figured my low post count, obvious lack of understanding and prior posts stating that I didn't have a radio, license, etc. might have helped.

To answer your question, I would attempt to find out if you were for real or not before I made an accusation. I understand the mob mentality is strong on any forum so I try to not take it personally. No harm done.

4. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a list of Commercial Licenses that are still available.

http://www.narte.org/h/fccabout.asp

Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit (RRP)
    Marine Radio Operator Permit (MROP)
    General Radiotelephone Operators License (GROL)
    Radar Endorsement

Global Maritime Distress and Safety System Radio Operator License (GMDSS Operator)
    Global Maritime Distress and Safety System Radio Maintainer License (GMDSS Maintainer)
    Morse Code Licenses
    Third Class Radiotelegraph Operators Certificate
    Second Class Radiotelegraph Operators Certificate
    First Class Radiotelegraph Operators Certificate

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  5. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

I may be repeating a previous reply here, but here goes anyway:

My understanding about theory and testing is to assure that the licensee has sufficient knowledge to operate their equipment so that they stay within the rules and regulations regarding modes, power limits, etc.

The FCC indulged in a significant amount of trust with the Amateure Service, in that licensed members are trusted to be sufficiently educated to be able to operate legally and not interfer with other services and eachother.

Anyone can buy equipment, hook it up and transmit. But to avoid the chaos such as that found on the 11 meter band, knowledge is required and self disipline needs to be applied.

I can go out and purchase a 1.5 kw amplifier, a tower, an antenna and a feed line. But if I do not have sufficient knowledge about how the four interact, I could well exceed the limitation imposed upon the band and mode I am using. In this particular example, one parameter would be ERP (effective radiated power). I had better know how to perform that calculation and then know how to measure it so that I do not exceed the power limitation of my privlege.

With out that knowledge and ability to apply it, things will and can get completely out of hand. Just listen to 11 meters.

6. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would rather see some sort of psychological exam to qualify a person for a ham ticket. If you're a nut-case, sociopath, or have tendencies to berate others, then you don't get a license.

That would get rid of a lot of problems.

I really don't care how much a person knows about radio, I figure they'll learn what they actually need to know.

Joe

7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If we eliminated the nutcases, we'd have eliminated Nikola Tesla, Ernst Lecher, and probably Michael Faraday. And most definitely Oliver Heaviside.

Eric

8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure they were ever licensed, I could be wrong.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just caught up with this thread but thought I'd add $.02

Technical complexity abounded in the old, original Technician Class test (1960s). I remember it well since I took the Tech, General and Advanced elements in one sitting to go from Novice to Advanced. The most complicated theory was actually on the Tech and included being able to design constant-K filters, m-derived filters and other networks, down to component values, based on suggestions for frequency, bandwidth and impedance.

I don't think any of that stuff is on any amateur exam today.

The exams are very "dumbed down" compared to then. And I think it's a shame because the old theory is still very relevant and helps operators understand what's going on inside their equipment.

Kind of like what a pilot must go through to learn about aerodynamics, engine and prop design, Bernoulli effect etc. in order to get a license to drive an airplane. It's very helpful stuff. Pity mechanics aren't on the drivers license exam, we'd have better drivers.

WB2WIK/6

10. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought the Tech theory test was the same as the general back then. I seem to remember guys that copied 25 characters in a row on the CW test becoming Techs by taking the theory test.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.