Why Alaska starts with Alas.....

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KL7AJ, Jan 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

From the Opus of Amateur Radio Knowledge and Lore: :)

Well, we’re almost halfway there. We now come to Method Six of self-destruction: choking on small parts. This is actually more of a hazard than it was in days of yore, because——well——radios are smaller nowadays.

To be honest, the only time I really came close to choking to death on a small part, other than, perhaps, some prehistoric experience during my infancy, was when a transistor (I believe) had fallen, unbeknownst, into my coffee from an overhead shelf. (See how all these safety issues can be related?) I think I actually swallowed the item in question. In any case, it was a most unpleasant, and best unrepeated, experience.

Now, as unlikely as you are to undergo a similar trauma, you may (in fact, you should, if you are a ham worthy of the name) occasionally entertain young visitors in your ham shack. Young people, up to the age of around nineteen or so, have a penchant for inserting small foreign objects into their mouths and other orifices not intended for such. Be ever on the alert for this eventuality. Keep easily swallowed parts in appropriate bins until ready for use. In fact, you might even entertain the notion of labeling said bins, so as to more readily find the parts in question. This is a wonderful, innovative idea, though I have yet to encounter any ham who’s actually implemented it.

I suppose there is some aspect of this hazard I’ve forgotten, but we should probably move on.

KC8VWM likes this.
  2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Lol. Nope not retired.

My rationale for this nonsense is something along the lines of time spent with a label maker now, makes up for it by saving me time later.

:)

K9ASE likes this.
  3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, I had some child labor do my parts bin labeling a few months ago. She'd never seen a Dymo labeler before and thought that was great fun. :)

K9ASE, N5PZJ and KC8VWM like this.
  4. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The problem with my system is that sometimes, I have to clean off the messy bench in a hurry with a snow shovel to fix something that came in then catch a flight out to install the repaired chunks.

What was on the bench can go into a container marked, "Aug '09" or something like that, then I have to remember what I was working on 10 years ago to find little parts... or just order again from DigiKey, and pay 10 bucks for shipping 2 resistors again...

Last summer, I restocked the parts bins by emptying out several of those "misc." boxes. "Saved" a bunch on shipping! :p

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. KC8VWM

Lol before I did all this reorganizing, I was ordering stuff that I already had all the time.

Problem was I had no idea I already had it.

It's really nice having your own little "parts store." I don't have to order anything very often and I rarely have to wait for a part to come in to finish a project i'm working on.

Of course it's all just a hobby for me but still. :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    K4TTJ likes this.
  6. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

How about a 4.7V zener in series with two rectifiers? There's always a way...:)

WA7PRC likes this.
  7. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing better than 99 2N3904s (you bought them because you needed one, right?) is 199 2N3904s.

WA7PRC and N0TZU like this.
  8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, gotta spread the shipping cost!

KC8VWM likes this.
  9. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

close enough

10. KC8VWM

Lol they use them in everything don't they?

I think you can get a 100 of them for 3 bucks + 25 dollars shipping.