Why 1x2 or 2x1 ?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NN4RH, Oct 3, 2018.

?

Why do you want a 1x2 or 2x1 vanity callsign ?

1. Old hams will respect me if I have a short callsign

2. New hams will respect me if I have a short callsign

3. It will give me an advantage in a DX pileup

4. I can't remember any callsign longer than four characters

5. Other (Explain in reply)

6. I have no interest in having a 1x2 or 2x1 callsign

Results are only viewable after voting.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

OTHER.

I was first licensed as a Technician in 2005 and I made a pact with myself to not upgrade to Extra unless I learned CW after the requirement was eliminated. It was just a standard I wanted to hold myself to and I did. After staying a General class for far, far too long I finally learned CW, upgraded to Extra and received my ARRL VE accreditation all this year.

For holding myself to it after all these years I felt that I had earned a vanity call specific to my license class and went for it.

So while 2020 has been a dumpster fire in other ways it has been a very productive year for me in ham radio.

2. K1XH

K1XH Ham Member QRZ Page

It implies that I am old.

A 1X2 should demand respect.

3. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

How old are you? Presuming > 20. :)
    06/02/2000 License Issued

4. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

Because I could.
    Also, my initials.
    43 years now.

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Faster in CW

N0NC likes this.
  6. DM2TT

DM2TT Ham Member QRZ Page

I changed my extra call DJ2TX after 27years to DM2TT.Everybody and there Brother would want that DJ call over here,for bragging rights.While the DM is very new,they just put it back in the pot.It was last used by the east (GDR) until 1980 or so,then they switched to Y2.What i mean is,this is a brand new,never given ou call.I thought long and hard,as i have 100dxcc on 144 eme and some awesome 6m eme with my old call.But then what is that bragging good for,if your call is a pure PITA in cw?I couldnt be happier and lost 5 dits and dahs,wow!For the rest?Well i made the highest class and the full cw test,way back when.You just cant see that anymore in a call,it has plain lost its meaning,so what?Ollie

K2CD likes this.
  7. N7TAT

N7TAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I USED TO want a 1x2. Ended up with KD1E (my initials are kd) but a call ending in e is sometime hard to pick out in a CW pile up. Switched to N1AS which was a 1x2 (Hallelujah).

Then I moved to the left coast and wanted a 7 in the call.

I just switched from N1AS to N7TAT. Just as short on CW, easier to say on phone and there was no lottery needed to win the call. So I relinquish my 1x2. And I don't miss it.

KU4X and N3RYB like this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Goodness.... have we forgotten all the old ways?

Respect is EARNED. It can't be demanded. It can't be bought (by getting a 1x2 call sign, certainly)

Dave
    W7UUU

N3RYB, KP4SX, KU4X and 1 other person like this.
  9. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Had mine since 1976.

At that time you had to be a 20 wpm Extra to get one. And to pass the test you had to actually copy and send at that speed with higher proficiency than some contesters who can copy a contest exchange at 30 wpm but are lost in a conversation at 12 wpm. Before you get all wrapped around the axel and accuse me of chest pounding. What that meant in the real world at that time, is that if you called W1AA who just finished working WN1AAA at 5 WPM, you knew you could call at at least 20 wmp. The 1X2 call had real utilitarian purpose at that time; not so now.

It's better in contests. If you like to run in contests, the time not used up sending a 2X3 call will allow more time for responding to callers and making contacts over a 12 hour (or more) contest period.

It's better in DX pile ups. Easier to squeeze a 1X2 call in between short gaps in the din, than it is a 2X3 call.

Although I wanted the BZ suffix (Bravo Zulu means something to a sailor) If I had it to do over, I might have opted for something like IT or AE that is faster on CW. But I'm not about to change now.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    N0NC likes this.
  10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't want any call that ends with E.

That little dit gets lost in the sauce way too often!

N0NC likes this.