Why 1x2 or 2x1 ?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NN4RH, Oct 3, 2018.

?

Why do you want a 1x2 or 2x1 vanity callsign ?

1. Old hams will respect me if I have a short callsign

2. New hams will respect me if I have a short callsign

3. It will give me an advantage in a DX pileup

4. I can't remember any callsign longer than four characters

5. Other (Explain in reply)

6. I have no interest in having a 1x2 or 2x1 callsign

Results are only viewable after voting.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

No, that's a different vein.

2. NQ7C

NQ7C Ham Member QRZ Page

Because "you can".

When you move up in license class and get new privileges, of course the first thing you're going to do is exercise them. A vanity call sign is just a small part of the bigger equation.

W1BR likes this.
  3. AE5SB

AE5SB Ham Member QRZ Page

why not?

K3XR likes this.
  4. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

Because I could ...

5. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I first got my callsign, KD5OWO I always said I wouldn't change it, it felt like mine. The issue I found was that after I got into contesting I found that having the shorter callsign was going to be a big advantage. The choices were fairly limited but I wanted a call that sounded good on both sideband and CW if I decided to operate CW. KJ5T was a good choice, now I have had it longer than I was KD5OWO. Who knows if I will ever change it if I end up living "permanently" outside of the 5th call district, I have become quite fond of the callsign.

6. KB0MLR

KB0MLR Ham Member QRZ Page

I can only conceive of ever changing my call to what was once a family friend, now more than a decade SK. It was a 1x2 and he was the original holder of that call. It is merely a sentimental/nostalgia issue to me as I don't regard it to be a particularly good CW call, though that was all he used it for. Given the state of call hoarding, it is quite unlikely I would ever have a chance at it.

Although, should a certain 2x2 of another associate of mine ever become available, I might consider taking it on for the same reasons above.

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

OTHER.....When I was a novice (WN8AFS) all the good ops were long time hams with one by two like W8FX (who lived a mile from my home). When I upgraded to the Amateur Extra ticket I was elegable for a change and got K8(my initials) for a new call.

8. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a vanity (1996) just for CW. N2UQF also sounded horrible when spoken aloud.

No regrets. Many might think I got a vanity to play oldtimer, but it's really for the dits and dahs.

73, Jordan AB2T

N2EY likes this.
  9. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Since I don't contest, I don't see it as having any real world advantage for me. So.... I don't feel the need to have one. However, I'm neutral on the subject of short call signs for others. If a person has one, great. If they don't, it's also great.

10. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

You can accomplish this "phenomenon" with a 1x2 or 2x1 by simply waiting a moment before transmitting.