ad: UR5CDX-1

Why 1x2 or 2x1 ?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NN4RH, Oct 3, 2018.

?

Why do you want a 1x2 or 2x1 vanity callsign ?

1. Old hams will respect me if I have a short callsign

2. New hams will respect me if I have a short callsign

3. It will give me an advantage in a DX pileup

4. I can't remember any callsign longer than four characters

5. Other (Explain in reply)

6. I have no interest in having a 1x2 or 2x1 callsign

Results are only viewable after voting.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just to have a ham radio plate with a lot of white space!

[​IMG]

2. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Also, I wouldn't group 1x2's and 2x1's together. I've never had any interest in 2x1 call signs.

3. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

hey....let's get to the real reason......the chicks ! :rolleyes:
    radio_babe.jpg

WZ7U, KA0HCP and N0YPD like this.
  4. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Surprised that many have no interest in a 1x2 or 2x1 call either.

5. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh lord. The 'Old' reason was it meant a shorter call for CW. I'm not so sure that's a realistic thing now. It's also a matter of 'prestige'. Doesn't matter what you -say-, that's always in the back of your mind. Unfortunately, that 'prestige' thingy isn't what it used to be either. Meaning it just isn't -that- hard to get a 2x1 or 1x2 call anymore. It used to mean that the holder really did know what he/she was doing, you know? Compared to what testing used to be like, it's almost a give-away now. Yeah, yeah, I know, but it's still true.
    I never thought I'd ever be an 'Extra', honestly. I took the test after being out of the hobby for years and it surprised me more than the VE's when I did pass the thing! Oh well. Another one'a them 'old fart' stories, you know? Would I give up my 1x2 call? Not willingly! Well, maybe if there was a 'Super-Extra' class with a 1x1 call, maybe. I'll hold my breath...

6. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure what you mean by "knew what they were doing...." but my call W1BR was not first held by an Extra Class ham. As far as prestige, unfortunately some poor soul has to become a silent key before many of the more desirable calls come up for grabs. Fortunately, the ham who held W1BR before me apparently just lost interest in the hobby and let his license lapse. And yes, it is a great call for CW.

7. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AHA! That explains why I thought I hadn't seen your posts lately, Peter, I didn't recognize the new call.

8. W8GP

W8GP Ham Member QRZ Page

Because I'm vain.

K8PG likes this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I bet you think this song is about you... :)

N2EY, K3XR, K8PG and 1 other person like this.
  10. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Varicose??