Whould you support a fundraising campaign for a DMR repeater ?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by SV2EVS, Dec 31, 2017.

?

Whould you support a fund raising campaign for a DMR repeater ?

Poll closed Jan 30, 2018.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    81.8%
  3. Go to your local hamradio club

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. SV2EVS

SV2EVS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone,

Whould you as a hamradio operator support a fund raising campaign for a DMR repeater ?

We have 2 in my city, but it seems that a third one could be of use as well. Yes, a hamradio club could raise the money with there members, but its sure not that small amount of money (~2000 euros from a europian seller). So the question is: Whould you help a bit to raise money for a 3rd dmr repeater in our town ?

2. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the coverage of the two already there? Are they on the same band or different bands? Are they extremely busy?
    I don't see why a city needs two DMR repeaters, nevermind a third.

3. SV2EVS

pm reply on your question.

4. SV2EVS

Basic thing is that they are busy...

5. SV2EVS

Based on the votes, it seems that i have to contact a local radio club...otherwise this repeater is just a dream.

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the problem with infrastructure-based hobby radio -- hams long ago became weary of funding/maintaining machines just for other people to abuse.

I used to be active with different groups of hams who maintained both voice and packet repeaters. These were substantial machines that were professionally installed in some fantastic locations, with far-above-average coverage for ham repeaters. Unfortunately, the machines all fell into disuse because a few people with excess personality would just monopolize the machines with obnoxious silliness, and eventually the other users all went away.

People who invested time and/or money to make those machines a reality were rather discouraged by the outcome, and those folks were also the kind of people whom you need to make a quality repeater site work.

7. SV2EVS

Very well put. This is always the problem. But its sad to see some 7 local uhf repeaters not being used and to look/find out the DMR capabilities and can't even 'enjoy' the hobby.

8. WA3QGD

WA3QGD Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the reasons we have been removing historic statues,The Users appreciation for history covered up the facts.had nothing to do with the Pigeon feeding....or historic fact.

SV2EVS likes this.
  9. SV2EVS

DMR repeaters are a great tool...But can't seem to understand that they are still repeaters.

10. SV2EVS