Whose forum (is it anyway ) ?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AA7EJ, Jul 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
  1. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no illusions why technical "users forum " exists on Internet.
    Helping users like me is the last item on their agenda irregardless if their official (tax?) status is "charitable organization ".
    I just read a note from a person who stopped contributing to one of such forums. Pretty sad reading when knowledgeable person realizes that he is being exploited under false pretenses of "distributing / supporting technology to (kindergarten ) masses " - making $ for forum "owner".

Why am I posting in here ?

I realize that amateur radio hobbyist are not synonymous with "computer geeks" and posting computer questions here will , and currently is, getting me unwanted "random noise" replies. ( Yes, one of the good contributors to my another discussion coined that expression - not my original !)

The real question is - would private, " independent " forum , such as Yahoo or similar attract right clientèle or just spamers? Would it take way too much time to "administer"?
    So if you have experience running "forum" elsewhere I like to hear from you.

And to the moderators - since this is really not about amateur radio I do apologize for posting it and would appreciate if you keep the discussion thread for limited time only. Of course it is your call.

73 Shirley

PS with apologies to Bob Pease for the title.

2. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good rhetorical question, and one that only you can answer.

3. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I've created and been admin of several forums, groups and even a BBS back-in-the-day.

Unless you're making money at the babysitting it requires, it's not worth it. IMO.

Honestly, I don't think a forum is the best place for but the most basic technical support.

Sometimes free is too expensive.

Better to make phone call and use remote login. Or better yet, hire someone to visit you on-site.

KB3VWG likes this.
  4. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, I was afraid that such forum would take too much time to administer.

I guess one way is to build a sort of on-line SIG.

I have been trying to get one going locally while building this VNA , but so far no takers.

I have been impressed with responses I am getting here , what worries me that my inquiries are not visibly "amateur radio".

"Sometimes free is too expensive."

And one has to put up with innuendos , insults and be very careful not to "criticize " the product.

PS I spend few happy years watching Mt Hood changing colors from our kitchen window - in Boring ( near Sandy) on Tickle Creek Road.

73 Shirley

W4RAV likes this.