Whole lotta Nekkid Heathkits going on: Cabinet restoration time begins!

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W7UUU, Jun 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just beautiful, Dave!!

73 de jim, N2EY

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks Jim

Dave
    W7UUU

3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So now everything that's been restored is now boxed in completely matched cabinets with all new screws and feet...

Man.... I gotta say looking at this lineup of SB gear - If I only could have imagined owning a station like this as a teenager!! :)

Still to come: SB-620 and SB-610, both of which require a recap job. The 620 worked for a few days, before the cap went out so should be an easy fix. Still need to dial it in to the correct IF, but that shouldn't be a problem. The 610 is unknown - never even plugged it in. It will most likely go in the SB-101 chain, as that's the rig that most likely will stay in the lineup post-K1T. Maybe I'll just make it common to any RF source - easy enough to do.

Debating just using the 301/401 for SSB split operation rather than modify the SB-101 (which works PERFECTLY as it now is). I'm not sure I'll even have room for an SB-640 in the operating position - it's going to be TIGHT even without it. The SB-620 might have to bail as well - just need to see if I can fit it in, and have it be close enough to the SB-101 for the cabling, which is a bit touchy like the SB-650

But for now, it's just utter eye-candy here in my shop. Gonna live here for a few days - just to look at it all every day :)

Dave
    W7UUU

1-K1T-Station-1.jpg 2-K1T-Station-2.jpg 3-K1T-Station-3.jpg

AF6LJ and KC3BZJ like this.
  4. VE7DQ

VE7DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice! Where's the SB-200? :D

5. W7UUU

Haha! Well, I've just never been into amplifiers actually. They just don't really interest me. I get plenty of contacts with 100 watts and most of the time MUCH less - I'm happy with no SB-200 in the lineup - not to mention I don't have the space! Heck - I'm debating needing the SB-640 LMO for the SB-101... I can work any split on the 301/401 rig as separates. So no, no amplifiers in my future of any kind.

But it's a pretty darn nice lineup! Can hardly wait to have it all in position in the main operating position.

A few more boxes yet to come: SB-610 scope, SB-620 panadapter, and DX-60b + HG-10b for AM operation, with the SB-300. DX-60 and HG-10 are all done with their restorations - only have recap jobs on the 610 and 620 to go, then modify the SB-101 to support the 620...

Whole lotta Heathkit's goin' on here - no question!

Dave
    W7UUU

AF6LJ and N2EY like this.
  6. VE7DQ

VE7DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, space! The final frontier! You can always go up!

But an SB-200 lights up the shack so nicely!

Some time ago, I had one of everything Heath made in the evacuated-state SB devices, except for an HA-14 and an SB-220. Due to... uh... life changes, I disposed of some units including the 300-400 pair, a couple of SB-110s and SB-500s but I still have the SB-100 I built in 1965, one each of all the small boxes, an SB-303 and an SB-200. At some point I'll get them out of their storage boxes and onto a display table. I'll be constructing a second tier on the vintage Hammond desk I have squirrelled away. Oh boy! Another project!

The SB-100 was even used mobile back when cars were large enough. The antenna was a Waters AutoMatch on a stout bumper mount. 1957 Chryslers had real bumpers! Wish I still had the Chizzler, hemi and all.

I modified the SB-100 to work with the SB-640, but shortly afterward I graduated to later gear (name begins with 'K') when I started working as a tech at a ham radio emporium (long extinct) here in Kanada. It was difficult to resist the 'inside' prices and the improved performance!. I also modified the SB-100 to alter the pitch of the CW reception by switching in a different crystal in the BFO in conjunction with the CW narrow filter selector (optional retrofit in the SB-100). While I didn't have the Heath keyer at the time, I did have a Waters Codax keyer; do you know of them?

The Waters stuff I purchased new in the mid-60s from Harry Lewis, SK, (W7JWJ, I believe) in Bellingham when he had a TV/ham shop there.

Interfacing the SB-303 to the SB-100 may be a cooler way to operate split. It would be advantageous listening to both frequencies simultaneously.

I'd be honoured to make your acquaintance at Puyallup next year.

Kudos again, Dave. Nice work!

Cheers!
    Tom

N2EY likes this.
  7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am impressed, good work Dave.

8. KS4W

KS4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's only within the last year that I've become re-involved with ham radio and qrz.com (although I 'officially' join a few years earlier.) I've figured out much of the K1T business by context but is there a thread which details the genesis of the idea?

EDIT: Looks like I finally found it

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...nniversary-of-1st-electronic-heathkit.515031/

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  9. W7UUU

Glad you found the link! I guess I should have posted it before. I actually toyed with the idea of boxing up the SB-101 and a few other bits, and taking it on a plane to Benton Harbor, where the old plant still sits - and work out some space inside with the owner, put up a few wire antennas on the roof, and spend a few days of the event actually operating from the old Heathkit factory itself... I'm still considering the notion - I have the K1T call for 2 weeks in October 2017 - no reason part of the event couldn't be at another location.... K1T/8 Just need to decide it it's worth all that effort and expense.

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY likes this.
  10. W7UUU

The DX-60b / HG-10b / HR-10b lineup now back in their cases. The DX-60b and HG-10b work 100%. The HR-10b not. But I'll have to revisit that one later to keep on the schedule with my backlog of projects. But it's coming along nicely.

Next up: SB-610 scope recap, then SB-620 recap & mod to SB-101 to make it work. Not sure if I'll have room for the 620 though... it's just a fun accessory but I have a feeling it may not fit in the space I have, with all the other actual rigs I need to have in the main position.

But for now, nice to have these rigs going back in their housings

Dave
    W7UUU

2-basket-case-2.jpg 3-basket-case-3.jpg

N2EY likes this.