Whole lotta Nekkid Heathkits going on: Cabinet restoration time begins!

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W7UUU, Jun 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's clever Charles!

I had all my boxes out for about an hour on the table - now they're just resting in the garage. I'll probably give them more UV once the sun comes back - it clouded over so I had to pull them inside in case it rained.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, KC8VWM and AF6LJ like this.
  2. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

Tractor Supply has some catalytic hardener for oil based enamel paint. This stuff will give a near automotive hard finish to regular enamel, at least it did on the mailbox and door I painted up. So, take a case to your local paint store, get some industrial enamel mixed and matched to your desired color, add about 1 oz to 8 oz's of paint and 2 oz's of reducer, I use laquer thinner for that. The paint will dry amazingly quickly and set up harder.

The down side-the hardener is an isocyanate product and you will need good ventilation and a proper respirator. The mixed paint needs to be used up right then as it will set up in the mixing container, or, ahem, in your paint gun if you neglect to clean it afterwards.

I do realize that not everybody has the equipment for spraying but if you do it's good stuff. I have some HK cases that I will be painting in the near future, along with the usual tinkering with the innards.

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Something that I had completely forgotten to mention, and didn't even thing of it until a little while ago while painting cabinets, for a client, from a Collins 516F-2 power supply and 32S-3 transmitter, is a technique when painting cabinets with a lot of small holes in the metal. In the area of the holes, paint in a circular motion rather than side to side. In my experience, that paints the holes better than side to side motion.

Glen, K9STH

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the only concern with leaving freshly-painted stuff outdoors to cure is contaminants (rain, dust, dirt, bugs, etc). To accelerate curing, I've preheated items to be painted.

5. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

IF you ever do "Wrinkle" paint finishes,
    pre-heating makes a big difference in application and final finish.

KC8VWM, KC3BZJ and AF6LJ like this.
  6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It sure does....
    The house oven has been implemented in that task before and in past houses.
    Let it reach room temp after painting...
    give it a few hours and put it back in a 150 oven let it soak for half an hour and turn off the oven off..Let it sit for a few hours and the finish will look good and be tough...

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The more gloss and heat, the greater the wrinkle effect. When using flat paint, it's hard to get any wrinkle... the paint cures as fast as you can "hose" it on.

AF6LJ likes this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Last of the boxes ready to go - these are the last that came from the sand blaster - got them late today - the SB-600 box had been POWDER COATED if you can believe that.... I opted to just have them "free all the little holes" and that would be good enough. To remove powder coating would take a full chemical strip.... ugh.... Also note an EXTRA box for another SB-650..... yes, I managed to come up with another "donor of sorts" - :) Not sure how it will end, but a friend had one not working "quite right" .... but it gives me a template for light shield, top shield, and very clean board to view. His has one bad Nixie and works erratically. Not sure how the SB-650 situation will end up - I'm into it pretty deep, now with a second unit in my charge.

But there ya go - the last four Heathkit boxes will get the full paint treatment on Saturday, then spend the day soaking up UV-A in the driveway on Sunday!

SB-650 (second one), HR-10b, SB-xxx, and SB-600-style

Dave
    W7UUU

1-2016-07-21 16.50.24.jpg

KC8VWM, N7ANN, KC3BZJ and 2 others like this.
  9. W7UUU

So back to it today - going to take some time off the office to finish the last four boxes. Gotta get the garage back together - the new kitchen cabinets and appliances come the end of this week so all these Nekkid Heathkits have to move into the house....

More later....

Dave
    W7UUU

AF6LJ likes this.
  10. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like you got a cool matching Heathkit Green table out of the project as well. Perfect for Field Day :)

W7UUU and AF6LJ like this.