Whole lotta Nekkid Heathkits going on: Cabinet restoration time begins!

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W7UUU, Jun 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Now they rest.... got the texture coat finished on all 15 cabinets. It came out pretty nice I gotta say. I used Rustoleum Hammertone paint (silver) with a single light coat only on the exteriors. It's a little tricky to apply but when done right, I think it very well captures the Heathkit texture as closely as "rattle can paint" can get anyway. I tried to capture the texture effect in the photos below.

Now they just need to sit and cure overnight.

Tomorrow: Two coats of SB-turquoise paint each, in a very slow and controlled environment (i.e., garage door mostly closed to prevent strong breezes, allowing lots of drying time between coat one and coat two, etc.)

They came out very well IMO. But argh! Gotta set up to do three more yet again next weekend. Oh well - it couldn't be helped :)

Dave
    W7UUU

1-texture done.jpg 2-texture done 2.jpg 3-texture done 3.jpg 4-texture done 4.jpg

N7ANN, WA7PRC and AF6LJ like this.
  2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Those look really nice Dave.
    They will look fabulous when they are done.

K6FNI likes this.
  3. K6FNI

K6FNI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent work. I'll look forward to seeing the final results.

Robert, K6FNI

AF6LJ likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks Sue. I think they'll look really good too. There's "just enough" hammertone texture that should look very authentic tomorrow when the two coats of eBay Paint Man's SB-Turquoise goes on each.

Then I'll let them cure for a few weeks before even thinking of putting gear back in. I have plenty else to do anyway - need to rebuild the SB-650 (parts keep rolling in - almost everything will be new!), the SB-610 and SB-620 still need to be recapped, the SB-101 needs to have the 9-pin Molex added for the SB-640 as well as installing an IF tap for the SB-620, and the SB-640 (I actually ended up with TWO!) needs to be gone through.

But all the SB boxes will just sit in an unused room upstairs, each in a paper bag to allow them to breathe but keep the dust off.

Probably by the end of August they'll all get to go back onto the rigs. I will have to do a major shack operating position redo before it all finally fits in place but I'm on a very good track to have it all done before winter sets in - then settle in to USE THEM!!... all in anticipation of K1T in a year.

But for today, off to the showers and NO MORE PAINTING TONIGHT!!

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, WA7PRC and AF6LJ like this.
  5. W7UUU

Just lined up the "eBay SB Paint Guy Paint" for tomorrow's final session.... I'm pretty sure I have enough.... I have 8 cans of the "LT Heathkit Turquoise" (all the same color batch) and 2 cans (left-most) of "DK Heathkit Turquoise" for the DX-60b, HG-10b and HR-10b cabinets.

I have to say this is one of the funnest projects I've ever done.... no, not the cheapest project LOL... :)

As always, my wonderful wife and BFF gives the "High Five" in her photo behind that was taken at Joe Walsh's shack back in April 2002 :) Didn't notice that photo was in the paint shot, so this is an "edit" addition :)

Dave
    W7UUU

1-2016-07-16 20.32.52.jpg

KE5OFJ, N7ANN, AF6LJ and 1 other person like this.
  6. W7UUU

Gotta say that in person, the completed painted cabinets are an emotional experience to view :) They came out stunning in my humble opinion. Just goes to show you that if you plan and prep and don't cut corners, take every step one at a time - "When paint cabinets, just paint cabinets" - even an amateur painter can achieve what I consider to be commercial-quality results.

Special plug to eBay paint guy Mike - his color is the perfect melding of all the Heathkit colors, his cans spray to the very last drop, the nozzles never plug or drip (with frequent "upside down cleanout sprays" of course). It's worth the money IMO. Click here to see his paint on eBay.

Now they'll just sit and sit some more. I have no intention to put gear in them for at least a full week - probably two weeks. The absolute worst thing you can do with new paint is to try to use the painted surface too soon. They'll all go into an unused room (once the paint smell is gone) in paper bags until ready to pair back up with their innards.

Now time for a well-deserved cold beer :)

Dave
    W7UUU

1-2016-07-17 13.49.42.jpg 2-2016-07-17 13.49.54.jpg 3-2016-07-17 13.50.03.jpg 4-2016-07-17 13.50.15.jpg 5-2016-07-17 13.50.18.jpg 6-2016-07-17 13.50.28.jpg 7-2016-07-17 13.50.34.jpg

N7ANN, K7TRF, KC3BZJ and 3 others like this.
  7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Those look really nice and that guy's paint formulation looks right on.

8. W7UUU

I really think so too - the dark green looks spot on for the DX-60b and HG-10b cabinets. Dagnabbit I wish I had the HR-10b and two remaining SB cabinets on hand to finish it all - but gotta free the "paint booth" space. Next weekend I'll do it all again, just with three boxes not fifteen :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN and AF6LJ like this.
  9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It may just be the lighting and your camera. However, the DX-60 and HG-10B cabinets look way too light green. Here is a photograph taken from a cabinet with original "Apache" green:

DSCI0005a.JPG

Glen, K9STH

10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nicely done, Dave!