Who uses ALE (the mode)?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Apr 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W0CD

W0CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm currently serving in the U.S. Army as a Brigade S6. In civilian terms, I am the individual responsible for all the communication requirements and planning for a military unit consisting of roughly 2,000 Soldiers. From my experience and accounts, the unit I'm a part of utilizes ALE HF almost 100% of the time while conducting training operations. Not surprisingly HF is at the bottom of the PACE plan (P: Primary, A: Alternate, C: Contingency, E: Emergency). It falls below Upper-TI (internet), FM, TACSAT (tactical satellite), and JCR (Joint Capabilities Release). From my observations, the current military radio operators have little knowledge of how it works or how HF is impacted by frequency, solar activity, antenna design, etc. Nevertheless, ALE is the de fecto method within the army to conduct HF operations.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    N2NH, KK5JY, KQ6XA and 1 other person like this.
  2. KB1TTN

KB1TTN Ham Member QRZ Page

We all use the proper ATU antennas such as the Micom WIMA, Stealth Telcom or the Micom ATU with a whip. It's big league dollars to play mobile hf that truly works. Some also use the SG230 with it's mating antenna. All are made for professional mobile HF and ALE. Check out my QRZ page there is a picture of my mobile with a 12' NVIS whip on the WIMA ATU. When I do use it for amature use many can not belive it's a mobile when I talk with them. It's all in the antenna system and proper installation.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    KQ6XA and NQ9L like this.
  3. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

That is the key; cost. A lot of people don't have the $$, nor the inclination, to put that much into it. That includes *some* agencies who use HF extensively. They, too, have budget constraints, and it relegates them to kind of a Chevy-rather-than-a-Cadillac existence. Thus, most so-called "tuners" don't work all that well, particularly on mobile. Given the physical constraints, the electrical ones, too, a mobile usually has trouble competing with the big base stations. If yours works well, congratulations!;)

4. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting... regarding the IC-F8100

Why is that?

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

N2NH likes this.
  5. N2NH

N2NH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm still waiting for installment 2 of her 80/160 meter loop antenna. It looks like a great project but I haven't seen anything new on this in awhile.

KY5U and KK5JY like this.
  6. WL7CG

WL7CG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ditto: It looks like a great project, but only one installment has been posted.

N2NH likes this.
  7. K8PG

K8PG Subscriber QRZ Page

Keweenaw ALE that's what I WORK ..... BLACK WIDOW TYPE

8. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC approved version of Icom HF Land Mobile radio, with built-in ALE and Selcall, is model Icom IC-F8101.
    A lot of hams and MARS ops are using it for ALE.

[​IMG]

W4RAV likes this.