Who to contact to offer 1st responder Radio Amateur Help

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7ROW, Oct 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB1PA

KB1PA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And as a trained, verified Red Cross volunteer, they will ask you if you are willing to deploy to a disaster. They will transport you to the disaster, house you and feed you to provide the clients with the services the clients need to survive, short term and long term. Red Cross is going to need volunteers, who usually work 2 week shifts, for months to come. They will be providing long term mass care for a long time. Same thing with the Salvation Army and the Baptist Convention. Both groups are running giant portable kitchens that do thousands of meals per day. They also need help. All the member groups of VOAD (volunteer organizations active in disaster) are looking for more volunteers. Some of those groups are amazing, doing stuff like Muck Out, tree cutting, tarpping of roofs, providing spiritual care, providing therapy dogs, offering their airplanes to fly in volunteers and supplies. PLEASE volunteer. even if you cannot go to the disaster, you can help assemble hygiene kits and other services.

WZ7U, KC8VWM, KU4X and 2 others like this.
  2. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Another thing - PLEASE do not send a bunch of old boxes of noodles and bottles of water across the country. Send money. That is easy to move and it can get spent where it is needed.

3. N7ROW

N7ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

Great response to this question -
    Between the lines of your replies there was more than a simple answer.
    I am not self-deploying. Lets make sure everyone knows that.

However I did volunteer to be on the ARRL 50 teams sent to PR (never heard a reply), Possess ICS training, have local CERT training, and the local city has deployed people to Houston during their hurricane.

Nevertheless, great response to a question that needs to be comprehended in any locale. Good reply from WZ7U. Red Cross is a good one - I think I will signup with them. I can redeploy, an physically fit, have a Go Kit and would like to help where needed. But no one can ever take enough training - its an ongoing function - meanwhile disaster hits Hawaii, Alaska, PR again and there is no shortage of desire to help from anyone one of us IN ADVANCE of the impending disaster - it takes organizational response and pre-positioning of resources, bodies, and skills to realize that.

I am an organizational-type that knows we can do better. So the idea of the ARRL Go Team is a good one - ARES/RACES activate locally - not remotely especially if they are the ones that are hit. Why not create multiple regional trained ARRL Go Teams for Emergency response that has the equipment/people/self-sufficiency to deploy where needed - not to be a whacker - but to be recognized as an adjunct respected member of the larger ICS structure? and funded by ARRL/Congress. This is doable. Does it exist now? If it does - I have not seen it.

Mayne

WZ7U likes this.
  4. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't I feel bad...all my kids are Americans.

5. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem with this ARRL national team is twofold. These are people that the local officials do not know and the hardening of infrastructure over the years has made widespread long lasting comm outages nowhere near as common.
    If you want to be there doing things, you might do better joining the Red Cross or Civil Air Patrol or any group that will be needed and would like a radio-knowledgeable person. Around here we have a canine SAR team that goes all over the world.

KK5JY likes this.
  6. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Mayne for your drive, desire and ability. Follow you heart and may God keep you safe and productive.

7. WE4B

WE4B Subscriber QRZ Page

So are mine.

8. W5TTW

W5TTW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Send them generators.

9. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I was in LAX waiting for a flight and all of a sudden this cute little kid comes running up between my spread knees, turns around looking out and leans on my knee. He was perfectly relaxed. I just let him stay for a few seconds to access the situation. Sure enough here comes a couple parents/family running through the corridor shouting a male name. I asked him, "Are they looking for you?" And he answered "Yes sir". I made a couple gestures and someone in the passengers told them to look my way.

They came up, snatched the kid away mumbling nasty things, giving me bad looks. Heard one say "Honkey". Yes they were African Americans. I often think about that incident as proof people are not born racist, just get that way from their influences.