Who repairs/rebuilds AL-1200 ?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K7OME, Apr 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K7OME

K7OME Ham Member QRZ Page

amp9.JPG amp4.JPG amp5.JPG amp6.JPG amp7.JPG amp8.JPG

The images were taken to show the damage to the shipper, if you need others I can easily take more. Since these were taken I have cleaned out most of the broken glass and put the meter back into position (it seems undamaged). I also straightened the prongs on the tube, very carefully, and that seems to have gone well (I have checked the cost on those tubes!)...

2. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey its Lou here, No problem, Actually this amp isn't as old as the one I said I was working on at the other site. The very older units had the SK-410 tube socket and then they used this ceramic type and now they use the new "ground plane" type which I have in stock and would replace it with. The ground plane type is a innovative idea and it produces the lowest inductive ground for the grid possible. I'll install the newer plate choke so it would be good for the WARC bands. It probably already has the step start feature so you won't need another one. As far as a grid overload, well you really don't need it as Steve mentioned but if you really want one I can install one for you if you insist. I have my own design that I install at a fraction of the cost of Ameritron's unit. When it is ready I will check out the tube. Boy it really takes some doing to bend the tube pins like that. LET ME GUESS, THAT AMP WAS HANDLED BY UPS WHEN IT WAS SHIPPED RIGHT??? Lou

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like a tube pin is bent, so the tube itself may be damaged.

A new 3CX1200A7 is an expensive proposition. I didn't just look, but last time I did look (maybe a year ago) they were in the $1000 range -- each.

It's a very robust tube with ceramic seals and maybe the tube pin can just be straightened out; but I wouldn't bet on it.

The amp should never have been shipped with the tube installed in its socket. It looks like it shouldn't have been shipped by whoever shipped it, at all!!

4. K7OME

K7OME Ham Member QRZ Page

You're right about the shipping. It was one of those mis-communication things. The seller knew to remove the transformer and tube and I verified with him that would be done. I offered to pay extra for full insurance and was told that would be done. Problem was, unknown to me, the actual amp was at the seller's father's place 300 miles from the seller. Worse, the father wasn't a ham, just a guy trying to help a neighbor sell off some of an SK's equipment. So, he took the amp to UPS and they wrapped some bubble wrap around it and dropped it in a box. The rest is history. The seller and I reached an accord on the cost and here we are.

Thanks to all who have offered advice on this. I think I can work with Lou and get this done now. 73....

5. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Everything is in the works already. Thanks Ray. Lou

6. WB2WIK

7. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ray, should your 3CX1200A7 tube turn out to be bad and that the tube socket needs replacement, it may be a better idea if I install an 8877 tube and make this thing into a Al-1500. Would not be all that much work and the cost of the tube differential would cover the labor.

8. WB2WIK

Does the 8877 version require a 2-minute or 3-minute timer??

(I don't recall if the AL-1500 has one...the Alpha amps all did.)

Could be important in preventing an 8877 from becoming a doorstop.:p

9. K5RT

K5RT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the 8877 has a three minute warmup period Steve. AL-1500 amps have this, as did my old DTR-2000L.

Paul

10. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, the AL1500 had a 3 minute timer and a grid trip circuit both of which I include when swapping tubes.